Dec 16 2019
About the Job:
Scrapinghub is looking for software engineers to join our Professional Services team to work on web crawler development with Scrapy, our flagship open source project.
Are you interested in building web crawlers harnessing the Scrapinghub platform, which powers crawls of over 3 billion pages a month?
Do you like working in a company with a strong open source foundation?
Scrapinghub helps companies, ranging from Fortune 500 enterprises to up and coming early stage startups, turn web content into useful data with a cloud-based web crawling platform, off-the-shelf datasets, and turn-key web scraping services.
- Design, develop and maintain Scrapy web crawlers
- Leverage the Scrapinghub platform and our open source projects to perform distributed information extraction, retrieval and data processing
- Identify and resolve performance and scalability issues with distributed crawling at scale
- Help identify, debug and fix problems with open source projects, including Scrapy
Scrapinghub’s platform and Professional Services offerings have been growing tremendously over the past couple of years but there are a lot of big projects waiting in the pipeline, and in this role you would be a key part of that process. Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of software development experience.
- Solid Python knowledge.
- Good communication in written & spoken English.
- Availability to work full time.
Bonus points for:
- Scrapy experience is a big plus.
- Familiarity with techniques and tools for crawling, extracting and processing data (e.g. Scrapy, NLTK, pandas, scikit-learn, mapreduce, nosql, etc).
Stage 1: Technical trial project
Stage 2: Interview with HR Representative
Stage 3: Technical Interview
Nov 05 2019
As Scrapinghub continues to grow, we are looking for a junior Sysadmin to join our fully remote team. You will work with our dynamic infrastructure team, mostly providing installation, maintenance and support services for Shubbers (Scrapinghub employees) but also using your development skills to further improve and develop our integrations and internal systems with the Internal systems sub-team.
If you have previous experience in a systems administrator position along with some development experience, please apply today!
- Provide assistance to internal groups in Scrapinghub to troubleshoot and solve issues.
- Provide world class support for our Shubbers by delighting them in every interaction.
- Strong customer focus with a mindset for preventing future recurrence of issues.
- Own set up/close accounts management and IT tools onboarding of new members.
- Demonstrate leadership and ability to work independently to resolve technical issues.
- Effectively collaborate within the team and with other teams to constantly improve the processes and tools for greater efficiency and better user end experience.
- Document procedures, corrective actions and update knowledge base systems.
- Keeps peers and management informed of trends, significant problems and unexpected delays.
- Track and respond to issues logged on Jira in an efficient manner.
- Timely updating of Shubbers on IT queries.
- Provide efficient tracking of IT Inventory.
- Provide desktop support to Mac and Windows users.
- Liaise with IT Vendor to order and deliver hardware to new Shubbers.
- Help to maintain and evolve simple production integrations hosted on Cloud services (AWS and Google Cloud Platform).
- 2+ years of systems administration & desktop support or equivalent experience.
- Proven track record in technical self learning, you will be supporting Google Suite, Slack, Jira and Confluence.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills and ability to articulate a complex system or problem based on the type of audience.
- Strong team player with good analytical and technical writing skills.
- Strong relationship building skills with a sense of collaboration.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities and commitments.
- Able to operate effectively in a team environment with nontechnical team members.
- Able to operate with minimal supervision.
- Able to manage time effectively, set priorities appropriately.
- Excellent technical knowledge of Mac and Windows for Desktop.
- Real world experience with containers, specially Docker.
- Google Cloud Platform serverless computing experience (Cloud Functions, Cloud Run and/or App Engine).
- Some knowledge around any web scraping tools would be greatly considered, Scrapy has extra points.
- Experience working with RESTful APIs (Django/Flask frameworks preferred).
Head of Product
Oct 28 2019
Scrapinghub is on pace to grow revenue more than 5x in the next 3 years, with the largest growth coming from our SaaS product business lines. We are seeking our new Head of Product to lead our Product team and define our strategy as we enter this new phase of growth.
Defining process, developing talent, and guiding the growing team through the growth that we are experiencing is just the start. As a member of the leadership team, you will help set overarching business strategy and goals, identify opportunities, and maintain relationships with key stakeholders (internal & external). Ultimately, your responsibility is to ensure the success of Scrapinghub’s products.
This is the role for you if:
- You’ve done this job before, either in a growth-stage company, or in a team/division experiencing exponential growth
- You’re eager to take advantage of a rare opportunity to lead a global product team in a category leading technology, with competitive salary and equity participation
- You will be responsible for the commercial success of Scrapinghub’s product portfolio:
- Evaluate opportunities to determine which to pursue and, perhaps equally important, which not to pursue
- Know the customers better than anyone - using data to understand what they do (SaaS metrics, financial KPIs, usage data & analytics platforms), and talking to them to understand why
- You will be a key spokesperson for our products internally and externally and you should be comfortable engaging with customers, partners and internal teams.
- Lead our product culture and spearhead improvements as the Product team grows and Scrapinghub expands:
- Creating a consistent methodology for iterative product development, to be used across all of Scrapinghub: research, design, development, and delivery
- Enforcing Lean principles to ensure we are continually shipping & learning from real customers
- Reinforcing Scrapinghub’s values (Open by Default, Team Players, Ambitious, Customer Centric) via our processes, and making sure we’re living them, as a team, in how we execute
- It goes without saying, but your role will include all of the standard parts of Product Management not already mentioned above:
- Own the product roadmaps and work with the leadership team to develop long term product strategy and the Go To Market strategy for the organisation as a whole.
- Develop strong partnerships with Engineering, Customer Success, Sales, and Marketing to create a well-rounded product offering
- Deep strategic thinking about our place in the market and how we will continue to differentiate ourselves in fulfilling customers’ web data needs
Education & Experience:
- 8+ years years experience in managing growing product development teams, ideally within a SaaS product environment. This includes recruitment, talent development, and adapting processes to an expanding team.
- Strong track record of delivering successful (commercially and otherwise) products
- Deep experience in the commercial side of product management, with past responsibility for the marketing, sales and full customer lifecycle around your product(s)
- Experience in building business cases for product investment decisions
- Great people skills: Insight into those you work with, coupled with the tact and humour to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Always persuadable by evidence: You are always open to changing your mind when the evidence dictates. Conversely, you use well structured data to inform your own opinions and persuade others.
- Technically competent: You are able to quickly learn and understand the technical details of Scrapinghub’s products, and how/why our customers use them. This doesn’t mean that you need a formal software development background, but you will be involved in deeply technical decisions and conversations.
- A love of talking to customers and an insatiable curiosity to understand how and why they use Scrapinghub’s products.
- Unwavering focus on results: revenue and growth targets, delivering quality features on-time, great NPS scores, etc - regardless of the metric, you love setting the bar high and driving for results.
- A great fit with Scrapinghub’s culture
Oct 14 2019
QA is an important function within Scrapinghub. The QA team works to ensure that the quality and usability of the data scraped by our web scrapers meets and exceeds the expectations of our enterprise clients.
Are you passionate about data and data quality and integrity?
Do you enjoy using programming languages and tools to automate testing, analyze data, and speed up manual processes?
Are you highly customer-focused with excellent attention to detail?
Due to growing business and the need for ever more sophisticated QA, we are looking for a talented QA Engineer with both automated and manual test experience to join our team. As a Scrapinghub Engineer, you will take automated, semi-automated, and manual approaches and apply them in the verification and validation of data quality. Although Python is our preferred language for automation; demonstrable experience of automating things in other languages (e.g. Groovy, Ruby, PHP etc.) is welcome. And while we are primarily interested in the quality assurance of data, your experience in testing applications, systems, UIs, APIs etc. will be brought to bear on the role.
In addition, while experience in programming languages other than Python is welcome, you must be comfortable at test automation using your language(s) of choice. Please describe this experience clearly in your CV or cover letter, beyond simply listing the programming language as one that was used in the role you held.
- Understand customer web scraping and data requirements; translate these into test approaches that include exploratory manual/visual testing and any additional automated tests deemed appropriate.
- Provide input to our existing test automation frameworks from points of view of test coverage, performance, etc.
- Ensure that project requirements are testable; work with project managers and/or clients to clarify ambiguities before QA begins.
- Take ownership of the end-to-end QA process in newly-started projects.
- Work under minimal supervision and collaborate effectively with Head of QA, Project Managers, and Developers to realize your QA deliverables.
- Draw conclusions about data quality by producing basic descriptive statistics, summaries, and visualisations.
- Proactively suggest and take ownership of improvements to QA processes and methodologies by employing other technologies and tools, including but not limited to: browser add-ons, Excel add-ons, UI-based test automation tools etc.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
- Demonstrable programming knowledge and experience, minimum of 3 years (please provide code samples in your application, via a link to GitHub or other publicly-accessible service).
- Minimum 3 years in a Software Test, Software QA, or Software Development role, in Agile, fast-paced environment and projects. Solid grasp of web technologies and protocols (HTML, XPath, JSON, HTTP, CSS etc.); experience in developing tests against HTTP/REST APIs.
- Strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes.
- Ability to formulate basic to intermediate SQL queries; comfortable with at least one RDBMS and its utilities
- Excellent level of written and spoken English; confident communicator; able to communicate on both technical and non-technical levels with various stakeholders on all matters of QA
- Knowledge and experience of Scrapy and other Python-based scraping frameworks a distinct advantage.
- Prior experience in a Data QA role (where the focus was on verifying data quality, rather than testing application functionality).
- Interest in and flair for Data Science concepts as they pertain to data analysis and data validation (machine learning, inferential statistics etc.); if you have ideas, mention them in your application.
- Knowledge of and experience in other technologies that support a modern cloud-based software service (Linux, AWS, Docker, Spark, Kafka etc.)
- Previous remote working experience.