Senior Software Engineer
What you will be doing
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for building solutions that revolutionize how the best procurement teams in the world are sourcing. On a typical day you will:
- Work in a cross functional development team analysing product feature requests and designing solutions.
- Develop top quality software with scalability, maintenance, security and reliability in mind.
- Write unit tests and otherwise ensure the quality of your code.
- Review colleague’s code and designs.
- Investigate and problem solve issues.
- Support your team’s code through the QA process and on production systems.
- Assist other team members and help mentor new team members.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the organisation to ensure vision is delivered.
- Contribute to the ongoing success of this fast-paced, rapidly growing and evolving organization
- Understand and deliver on our customer’s needs and goals
Senior Data Engineer
SemanticBits is looking for a talented Senior Data Engineer who is eager to apply computer science, software engineering, databases, and distributed/parallel processing frameworks to prepare big data for the use of data analysts and data scientists. You will mentor junior engineers and deliver data acquisition, transformations, cleansing, conversion, compression, and loading of data into data and analytics models. You will work in partnership with data scientists and analysts to understand use cases, data needs, and outcome objectives. You are a practitioner of advanced data modeling and optimization of data and analytics solutions at scale. Expert in data management, data access (big data, data marts, etc.), programming, and data modeling; and familiar with analytic algorithms and applications (like machine learning).
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science (or related) and eight years of professional experience
- Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals: object-oriented design and programming, data structures, algorithms, databases (SQL and relational design), networking
- Demonstrable experience engineering scalable data processing pipelines.
- Demonstrable expertise with Python, Spark, and wrangling of various data formats - Parquet, CSV, XML, JSON.
- Experience with the following technologies is highly desirable: Redshift (w/Spectrum), Hadoop, Apache NiFi, Airflow, Apache Kafka, Apache Superset, Flask, Node.js, Express, AWS EMR, Scala, Tableau, Looker, Dremio
- Experience with Agile methodology, using test-driven development.
- Excellent command of written and spoken EnglishSelf-driven problem solver
Staff Ruby on Rails Software Engineer
We didn’t create Bold Penguin because commercial insurance is broken. It isn’t. But as the world has gotten more connected and digitized, commercial insurance lags behind - creating a fragmented landscape where businesses, agents, and insurance companies struggle to interact in a smooth and easy way. That’s why we’ve built a highly efficient exchange that cuts the friction out of commercial insurance by connecting everyone to the right quote in record time.
Powering the world of insurance is no small feat, so we’ve brought on a team that's not only incredibly talented but also passionate about our potential to upgrade the entire industry. As more and more companies big and small depend on our technology to operate in the commercial insurance space, we’ll need the best talent all around to support our growth. That’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to make a bold move and join our adventure.
Staff Engineer Scope & Qualifications:
- In your role as a staff engineer, you will be tasked with solving our hardest problems by leading and architecting complex, highly scalable solutions.
- You are expected to perform as a strong individual contributor to the team.
- At this point in your career, you will have had a broad range of technical acumen as well as a depth of experience in more than one area.
- You will have a significant impact on the engineering organization itself by helping advance Bold Penguin’s software engineering discipline.
- Engage across product teams to plan, coordinate, architect, and deliver high-complexity features
- Ensure that solutions are built with security, performance, and fault-tolerance in mind
- Be an expert in modern cloud architecture and concepts in software engineering such as continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps and site-reliability engineering
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, site-reliability engineers, and customers to build powerful, impactful products
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the software development life cycle from ideation to delivery
- Mentor more junior engineers in areas such as unit testing, continuous integration, DRY/SOLID principles, SDLC, etc. to facilitate career growth on the team
- 10+ years of professional engineering experience (with at least 8 years of it being Ruby on Rails)
- Experience building highly resilient, cloud-native applications
- We have daily standups starting around 910 AM EST (Monday - Friday) along with company-wide meetings on Monday and on Thursday at 830 AM EST.
- 3-5 years + of working remote, full time, and/or with full time co-located teams across different time zones.
- Full-stack expertise in multiple tiers of modern web applications (e.g. front end, back end, infrastructure, etc.)
- Open-source contributions and/or speaking experience.
- Previous work experience in insurance and/or experience with policy rating very desirable.
- You love Penguins! ;P
TRAVEL TO THE "GLACIER" (please read)
- We are firm proponents of "seeing eye to eye by meeting face to face". As such, our remote team travels in once a quarter for a full day of collaboration, goal setting, team building, etc. Are you able to make this work? In addition to this we also ask that, if hired, you are able to make the first week onsite for onboarding/training.
- For a healthy colony.
- Our plan covers 50% of your Medical Premiums – Health - HRA, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, as well as Short & Long Term Disability - Beginning Day 1! (Trust us, the benefits are great!)
- Penguins plan for the future.
- 401k Match program, up to 4%!
- Parental Leave
- 16 weeks of parental leave (your kids need you there!)
- Need a vacation?
- Unlimited PTO - Please take a vacation - In fact we require you to take 10 days off as you need it and we applaud it!
- Hungry? Thirsty?
- We offer free snacks and drinks, as well as catered lunch every Monday (even to our remote employees...nomb nomb nomb)
- Penguins need to learn!
- We support your professional growth. Certifications, training, memberships, and conferences are actively encouraged—and covered.
- Penguins are social creatures and love to play!
- We have frequent happy hours, company events, and outings. What kind of company would we be if we didn't have some fun!?!?
- Penguins give back.
- We offer volunteer opportunities every month! There is no better feeling than giving back =)
- Don’t want to move to Columbus?
- We offer up to 100% remote engineers!
- You must be OK visiting the office for a day or two every quarter - we are all about that camaraderie!
We are looking for a strong C++ engineer to join our growing core development team. You will be responsible for implementing new features in the open source core TileDB library, owning features from design to implementation. Strong skills in algorithms, data structures and optimizations (e.g., vectorized computation) are imperative. Our roadmap includes pushing down computation from higher-level integrations (e.g., MariaDB, Spark, Dask, etc) down to the TileDB storage engine, in order to enhance the overall performance and usability.
Our headquarters are in Cambridge, MA, USA and we have a subsidiary in Athens, Greece. However, you will have the flexibility to work remotely as long as your residence is in the USA or Greece. US candidates must be US citizens, whereas Greek candidates must be Greek or EU citizens.
In your first 30 days, you will familiarize yourself with the core TileDB library. You will learn how to use TileDB in various applications, and learn the codebase. Our engineering team will help with your onboarding, and prepare you to make your very first commit within your first couple of days at work. After 30 days, you will be fully integrated in our team. You’ll be an active contributor and maintainer of the core TileDB library, and ready to start designing and implementing new features.
- Strong C++ (C++11 or greater) skills
- Strong knowledge on data structure and algorithms
- Experience with parallel programming and performance analysis/optimization
- Experience with Cloud Object stores (e.g., AWS S3)
- Experience with POSIX filesystems
- Competitive salary and stock options
- 100% medical and dental insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off (vacation, sick & public holidays)
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Flexibility to work remotely (anywhere in the US or Greece)
TileDB, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive team.