Goodway Group is #3 on Adweek's Top Companies to Work For for 2021, has been fully remote for 12+ years, has fantastic virtual culture, and we're GROWING!
This position can be located anywhere in the US working virtually from a home office. At this time, we are unable to offer sponsorship opportunities.
We're looking for software engineers who want to build and support a top-tier programmatic media buying and analytics platform, loves to build cool stuff and work hard, can communicate well, and is a culture-add! We have roles at the Senior and Junior level, but we look for both skill and character in these roles!
Our development philosophy is to work as small, focused, nimble groups, building everything from the front-end to the back-end. We divide up work on a product basis and you'd be responsible for making sure your features have a clear user-interface, perform and scale, and have legible and easy to maintain code. You may not be familiar with all of the specific technologies we use, but you should be excited about the opportunities to pick them up.
Work you will be doing:
- Developing services in support of analyzing and making decisions on the data generated from the 200 milliseconds, real-time auctions behind nearly every browser page-load across the open internet.
- Crafting software services to interact with Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Salesforce, YouTube, Bing along with a continuously expanding array of established and emerging players on the open internet
- Contributing to industry-leading, award-winning software in the growing Digital Marketing industry.
The right person will feel at home at Goodway because:
- We prefer open-source, being scrappy/nimble over proprietary technologies, all-day meetings, and corporate bureaucracy.
- You can ditch your commute since we’re 100% virtual – everyone works at home but we get together a few times each year. We make being physically together a celebration filled with good times and opportunities for new experiences.
- We encourage personal growth and professional development through technical seminars/cyber-training, mentorships, and leadership opportunities. We have a long history of promoting from within and a career ladder that provides opportunities in both technical and managerial tracks.
- We focus on making your career fit into your life, not your life fitting into your career.
- We have a solid 5-year vision which we’d enjoy sharing with you during the interview process.
Things we’re looking for in our engineers:
- Experience writing software in a professional setting.
- Strong listening and communication skills (written and verbal), including the ability to communicate effectively with non-technical customers.
- Willingness and demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and skills.
- Ability to collaborate well with both internal groups and external partners and thrive in an agile environment with limited oversight.
- Comfortable and committed to multi-tasking work in a small but rapidly growing environment.
- A big plus: an interest in internet advertising, algorithmic ad trading, workflow automation, a/b testing, data warehousing, and solving business problems in collaboration with customers.
We looking for software engineers with experience or an interest in any of the following technologies:
- Solid understanding of data warehousing, relational databases, and data modeling/design techniques and tuning (non-relational database experience a plus).
- Advanced SQL skills including query optimization.
- Experience working in "big data" platforms and related tools & scripting languages including Amazon Redshift & EMR, Presto, Hive, Python, Spark, Scala, BASH & K-Shell scripting, etc.
- Experience building data pipelines with open source tools such as Airflow and Argo.
- While these are the technologies we currently use, we want to find people who are committed, like we are, to using the right tools for the job and want to be part of the evolution of our technical architecture and systems.
Our Next Backend Engineer
As Knotch’s next Senior Backend Engineer, you will work alongside a team of backend engineers on various internal and external APIs. You’ll construct and maintain these APIs as part of new features and new products, developed within an agile framework and in an environment that believes in automated testing and a strong CI/CD pipeline. Your empathy and relentlessness are key traits that will help you remain resilient and connected to your team in a fast-paced environment like ours. Your work will directly impact our products and help Knotch scale as a company. You will work closely every day with your Backend API Team and report directly to our Lead Backend Engineer, Haiz Oppenheimer.
How you'll add value to Knotch
- Write elegant and expressive Elixir and Ruby for critical backend services and APIs.
- Build and ship product features to deliver outstanding value to customers.
- Coordinate with members of the Front-end, Data, and QA teams to stage and release complex technical initiatives.
- Identify opportunities to improve our application performance and optimize database queries and modeling.
- Re-architect legacy systems and collaborate with the whole API team to plan and execute initiatives to improve application quality.
- Review other engineers’ pull requests and provide constructive technical feedback, guidance, and mentoring as appropriate.
- Write strategic unit and integration tests to improve overall test coverage.
- You have 4+ years experience writing production web applications, preferably with experience in Elixir and/or Ruby.
- You are team-oriented, and you value empathetic communication and collaboration.
- You have designed APIs according to proper RESTful conventions. Experience with GraphQL is a plus.
- You have written SQL with aggregate functions and also worked with an ORM such as ActiveRecord or Sequel.
- You appreciate the merits of both object-oriented and functional programming, and approach architecture from a practical solution-oriented perspective.
- You hold strong but flexible opinions about best practices in software engineering, and believe in investing time and energy into continuous improvement.
- You have built complex web applications and leveraged patterns beyond simple models, views, and controllers.
- You ask a lot of questions and value exploring healthy creative tensions within an organization, knowing it improves outcomes. You are comfortable working in close proximity to unanswered questions.
We also appreciate but don't require
- Elixir & Phoenix
- Cloud architectures, particularly in AWS.
- Docker and containerization
- Devops and CI/CD pipelines
- Redis and Sidekiq
- Event-driven architecture