Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas. To do that, we create simple and beautiful products that prioritize the user experience and value we deliver.
We value fast iteration without compromising quality while maintaining an attention to detail that creates the kind of thoughtful interactions we’re known for.
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic, and self-aware engineers to join our Web Experience team to help us move thinking forward. With a strong focus on growth and personal development, Medium is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
What will you do?
- As a senior full stack engineer on the Web Experience Team, you'll be responsible for creating the best possible web experience for Medium users to discover, read and engage with the stories that matter to them. You’ll architect and build product features from the databases all the way to the browsers. You’ll collaborate closely with colleagues in design and product, and bring innovative and delightful designs to life. You’ll sweat the details and make things shine. You’ll push the boundaries of what’s possible on the web.
Who are you?
- You have 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- You enjoy being a generalist, with a willingness to work on both frontend and backend.
- You have some experience building single page web applications.
- You are flexible, dedicated, and curious.
- You believe in the craft of software engineering, but are pragmatic when necessary.
- You draw inspiration from prior art, but are driven to innovate beyond it.
- You respectfully challenge your peers, and welcome being challenged.
- You are passionate about learning, and want to help us learn too.
We’d particularly love it if!
- You have experience with modern technology stack for the web including React and GraphQL.
- Experience with AWS (in particular, RDS, SQS, and DynamoDB).
- Experience working in a service-oriented or microservice architecture.
- You have experience in scalable systems.
- You have deep knowledge of API design principles and best-practices, availability, and performance.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.