Spreedly is a rapidly growing, payments technology firm, with headquarters located in downtown Durham, North Carolina. We are a stable, growth stage company with a team that enjoys working together and is remote friendly and inclusive. Our culture is based around our dedication to a meaningful work/life balance, and our commitment to that is reflected in the way we've structured the company, as well as the benefits and perks that we offer to employees.
We've developed a powerful infrastructure that is central to the massive and growing payments market. We're growing incredibly fast too. In fact, we just raised $75M from Spectrum Equity
. And we're processing over one million transactions per day.
Local applicants only, no remote candidates. All applicants must have a valid US work visa.
Spreedly is seeking a software engineering manager who's ready to jump in and manage 5-10 direct reports across ~2 functional teams. You'll also bring your experience to the table and help us continue iterating on how we do engineering and engineering management. We've made good progress in some areas - our hiring and onboarding processes being notable examples - but are regularly tweaking our processes and structure as we continue scaling the company from our current size of 50 to who knows how many multiples of that in the coming 4-5 years.
You may not yet have pure engineering management experience, but should have a proven aptitude for technical leadership and be excited to join Spreedly to support and enable the people that build and maintain our product as we keep growing. We bring the same pragmatic mentality to managing as we do to designing systems. We want someone that can come in and start being a part of those conversations, sharing your experiences and takeaways, to help us evolve our engineering management practice at Spreedly.
- You will lead a variety of cross-functional technical teams, making sure team members are getting the feedback they need to do their jobs and improve at their craft.
- You will also represent your team to the rest of the organization, helping them understand the team's role and prioritize the set of things the team could be working on.
- You will be doing the challenging work of management full-time from day one, and will not have critical path engineering responsibilities for any initiatives (but still need serious technical chops - see "Requirements").
- You will be responsible for the technical quality and product cohesion of your teams' work product and should be prepared to work with relevant stakeholders across the organization to ensure both meet expectations.
- You will collaborate with existing engineering management (and engineers) as we continue to iterate on how Spreedly does engineering as an organization.
- You have technical leadership experience - we need someone already comfortable with the dynamics of technical teams and delivering/supporting a technical product. This may take many forms, including non-technical management experience paired with several years of diverse technical experience, or technical team leadership experience without the human management aspect, etc...
- As a manager, you lead with empathy, maturity, and candor.
- You have real coding chops that allow you to support engineers of all levels as they make decisions about how we build Spreedly. While coding will not be an expectation in this role, you will need to rely on your technical experience to manage and have credibility with fast-moving engineering teams. It's not a litmus test, but if you weren't a developer in a past life this is probably going to be a stretch.
- You should thrive in loosely structured environments. We're getting bigger, but still find our top performers are those that take responsibility vs. waiting for it to be assigned.
- You should be comfortable thinking strategically about organizational and management topics. We don't blindly apply the best-practice du-jour here at Spreedly. Instead, we think critically about the assumptions inherent in any practice and if they're relevant to Spreedly. This should be your native mode of thinking.
We're proud of our engineering organization and can't wait for you to join us to scale and support our teams as we continue to grow.
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer and is working to build a diverse culture that reflects the fact that everyone in the world makes payments. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples and structured interviews.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does - handling payment data - candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later - we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does- handling payment data- candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later- we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples and structured interviews.
Thank you for your interest in our company, because of the high volume of resume flow, we will only respond to those candidates that we think will be a potential fit.