The Data team at Babylist powers data-driven decision making through all aspects of the company’s business; we are not a service team. We are a product function with a strong focus on three core aspects of data -- engineering, analysis, and data science. We are looking for an experienced Data Strategist to join our small and growing team.
You are someone who has the right blend of analytical/data skills, a strategic product mindset, and excellent organization and communication skills. You are not merely a builder of dashboards, but a critical thinker who asks the right questions and seeks answers with data. You also have several years of professional experience in a cross-functional, analytical role.
As our Data Strategist, you will work directly with stakeholders across Marketing, Product, Engineering, and Operations to both help us understand the health of the existing business but more importantly, to identify new opportunities for growth. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to have a deep business impact while honing their craft as an analytics professional.
What You'll Do
- Own the roadmap, design and development of core data team products (e.g. dashboards, reports, analyses)
- Work directly with stakeholders to translate questions and hypotheses into structured analysis
- Effectively present and communicate analytics findings across the company
- Work with the data engineer and other team members to define requirements and a roadmap for Babylist’s data platform
What You've Done
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree with a strong quantitative focus
- Statistical methodology: experiment design, multivariate analysis
- Strong SQL fluency: ability to work with large datasets and advanced queries
- Experience with a scripting language like Python
- Superb problem synthesis and communication skills
- Experience with tools of the trade: Tableau, Periscope, Chart.io, Excel, Jupyter Notebook
- Understanding of data warehousing and relational data modeling fundamentals
- An impact-oriented mindset; demonstrated ability to ask the right questions, prioritize work, and manage stakeholder expectations
- Keen attention to detail and data integrity
- An interest in or experience in data science and ML is highly desired
At Babylist, we help expecting parents get exactly what they need for the arrival of their new baby. We have a large and rapidly growing user base of passionate parents-to-be who are making important purchasing decisions for one of the biggest events in their lives, which is both exciting and overwhelming. Our core product is our universal baby registry. Currently one in two first-time expecting families in the United States actually create a baby registry at Babylist.com
. In 2019, over $400 million worth of gifts were purchased off of Babylist registries.
Why You Will Love Working at Babylist:
• We get stuff done
• We have a real impact on people’s lives
• We're passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
• We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
• We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
• We’re a technological and data-driven business
• We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
• We have experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
• Competitive pay
• Competitive health benefits including company-funded medical, dental, and vision
• 401(k), FSA plans, and disability insurance
• Flexible, paid parental leave policy
• Flexibility to work from home and prioritize home life as we navigate the impacts of COVID-19
• Easy access to BART and commuter assistance (when we return to the office)
• We work at a sustainable pace; in general we don't work late or on weekends, and most employees WFH on Wednesdays
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.