Nava is working to improve government services for vulnerable populations. Some of our least visible but most impactful and far-reaching efforts involve modernizing and improving the foundational infrastructure that government agencies depend on to provide services.
As we grow into larger, more sophisticated infrastructure projects that serve tens of millions of Americans, we're looking for an Infrastructure Director to round out our existing senior engineering leadership team.
We're currently looking for a Director of Infrastructure to assure the foundations for federal and state government services are robust, dependable, and maintainable for decades to come.
You are a thoughtful and empathetic engineer motivated by providing usable solutions that help people. You're organized, collaborative, and care about both technology and the engineers you'll be leading. You have experience in coordinating across multiple teams with different tech stacks, architectures, and stakeholders.
You have a broad knowledge of what infrastructure tools exist and recognize that each project / problem has its own challenges and technical needs. You have the patience and problem-solving enthusiasm to refactor and integrate with legacy systems and services. Coaching your teams on how to think about a whole system and choose the most impactful improvement and automation will be a large part of your contribution.
Your leadership will help us better serve the people who use government services, the needs of the agencies we work with, and the changes we can make to have a large and lasting impact. Though there may be some opportunities to be hands-on and direct the specific approaches your teams use, your preference should be guiding your teams to make good choices (and follow through on implementing them)
You can work remotely, or work from one of Nava’s offices in DC, SF, or NYC. Opportunities and Challenges Nava provides opportunities to do meaningful, impactful, mission-oriented work. As a public benefit corporation, we have a social mission written into our founding charter. The people who work at Nava have a fiduciary duty to our stated mission: to improve access, effectiveness, and simplicity of government services. We see this as an opportunity, but it is also important to highlight the challenges we face in advance.
You will be working within the government ecosystem, which means working with government employees, other government contractors, and civil servants. Working with people outside of Nava means you'll likely encounter different working styles, cultural norms and be responsible for maintaining order and focus without authority.
The government contracting ecosystem is a compliance-driven multi-stakeholder environment – particularly when compared to the operating environments for companies of our size in the private sector. Successful members of our team understand how to be innovative within this environment. Finding and recommending ways to improve the ways in which government digital services are procured and built is one of the highest-leverage ways we fulfill our mission.
What you'll do
- You'll work closely with the VP of Engineering and other Directors to shape Nava's technical direction and vision as we grow into new sectors to improve services for additional populations.
- You'll collaborate across functional departments (Engineering, Design, Delivery, and Product) to build scalable, consistent workflows and processes.
- In concert with Program Management, you'll be an escalation point for misalignments between engineering, delivery, and product priorities and decisions.
- You'll lead your team in implementing infrastructure best practices, assure they're exposed to new tools and technologies, and provide heuristics on how to assess the best tool for a given problem.
- Much of your team comes from a background that doesn't include professional services or client management responsibilities. You'll build processes and best practices for how to engage effectively and professionally with clients and other stakeholders.
- Coaching and teaching others is a critical aspect of this role. You'll directly manage our infrastructure engineering managers/tech leads, and will actively engage in promoting and supporting growth for infrastructure engineers at all levels.
- Strategize and coordinate infrastructure staffing and hiring with our Program Management, Staffing, and Recruiting teams.
- Manage a team of 3-7 managers across multiple projects (currently 3)
- Develop and refine equitable practices and cultivate a diverse and effective team, helping them realize their potential and honoring each team member's unique experiences.
- Seek support from champions within Nava or amongst clients, especially in the digital transformation space, where there is anticipated resistance to new practices or decisions.
- Provide air-cover for direct reports on any contract (e.g. scrubbing in to help get a project on track or providing direct support if your team encounters a complex stakeholder management situation)
What we're looking for
- Interest in improving government services.
- Broad background in infrastructure and an interest in using the best tools to solve a given problem.
- Experience successfully leading multiple projects across multiple teams, and growing individual members of those teams in an equitable manner.
- Ability to graciously accept, and give, feedback to both reports and executive management.
- Strong communication skills - able to 'meet people where they are' and successfully coordinate and communicate to other engineers, product managers, delivery managers, design leads, and program managers.
- Ability and interest in teaching teams how to solve problems, as opposed to dictating solutions (but able to dictate solutions if the team needs that support)
- Experience cultivating strong relationships with external clients, stakeholders, customers or partners.
- Experience with fast-growing companies, with a bonus for experience within government contracting or professional service firms.
- Experience: 10+ years of experience in Infrastructure, including experience with Cloud Infrastructure, CI/CD, Operations, Infrastructure Automation.5+ years of direct people management experience and team leadership.
You will have a direct impact on the technical direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous benefits and equity.
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous benefits and equity.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.