Atlassian is continuing to hire with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. Everyone new to the team, along with our current staff, will temporarily work from home until it is safe to return to our offices.
Atlassian is looking for a Senior Data Architect to join our GTM - Data Engineering team and build world-class data solutions and applications that powers crucial business decisions throughout the organisation. We are looking for an open minded, structured thinker who is passionate about building systems at scale. You will enable a world-class engineering practice, drive the approach with which we use data, develop backend systems and data models to serve the needs of insights, and play an active role in making Atlassian data driven. You love thinking about the ways the business can consume this data and then figuring out how to build it.
More about you
As a data architect, you will have the opportunity to apply your strong technical experience on building analytics data models, that supports a broad range of analytical requirements across the company. You will work with other teams to continually evolve solutions as business processes and the requirements change. You enjoy working in a fast paced environment and you are able to take vague requirements and transform them into solid solutions. You are motivated by solving challenging problems, where creativity is as crucial as your ability to write code.
On a typical day, you may be consulted on the
- Information architecture of our data lake.
- Understand the existing analytical data models, reuse and make necessary revisions as required.
- Understand Integration Design patterns & anti-patterns and create designs accordingly
- Understand & Design Dimensional Data Models.
- Understand & Design Tables leveraging different Hadoop File Formats
- Working with different stakeholders to understand the business reporting needs and architect/build the data models, ETL processes and data applications that can help answer those needs.
- Experience working with large datasets and are interested in reporting platforms and data visualisation using Tableau.
- Optimise the data pipelines/infrastructure with the goal of providing data with quality and trust. As the data domain expert, you will be partnering with our technology teams, analytical teams, and data scientists across various initiatives
- Understand the different source systems and their data attribution to identify the source of truths for bringing the trust in data while reporting
- Experience in implementing Master Data Management (MDM) solutions.
You'll own a large program end-to-end, so those skills will come in handy not just to collect, extract, and clean the data, but also to understand the systems that generated it, and automate your analyses and reporting. On an on-going basis, you'll be responsible for improving the data by adding new sources, business rules, and producing new metrics that support the business. Requirements will be vague. Iterations will be rapid. You will need to be nimble and take smart risks.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- At least 12-15 years professional experience with at least 5 years as a data architect or in a similar role
- Strong programming skills ( Python & Java(good to have) )
- Experience in requirements collection, analysis, data profiling for BI systems.
- Experience in working with project managers in drafting project plans and effort estimations
- Experience in data warehouse modelling, master data management solutions.
- Experience building data pipelines using Spark and/or Hive
- Experience working in a technical environment with the following technologies: AWS data services (Redshift, Athena, EMR) or similar, Apache projects (Spark, Flink, Hive, Kafka)
- You’re well versed in modern software development practices (Agile, TDD, CICD) and how they can apply to data engineering
- Experience in building frameworks to aid in quality data pipelines.
- Experience on Observability
- Experience writing and tuning SQL
- A willingness to accept failure, learn and try again
- An open mind to try solutions that may seem crazy at first
- A BE in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Mentoring junior team members through review processes.
We’d be super excited if you have:
- Experience working on Apache Airflow (or similar tools) for orchestrating data pipelines
- Experience building MDMs and other enterprise data integration solutions
- Deployed ML models and know when best to use them
- Followed a Kappa architecture with any of your previous deployments
- Implemented solutions on top of Kafka
- Good experience on building data solutions for Subscription businesses.
Above all else, as a data Architect you will be leading the development process, driving architectural decisions, and incorporating business and technology strategy. You will be earning the trust of other developers in the team and then coaching and influencing them into the right behaviour to build the ultimate analytical data model and pipelines.
You’ll be joining a team that is crazy smart and very direct. We ask hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work. We are self-driven but team oriented. We're all about enabling growth by delivering the right data and insights in the right way to partners across the company.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who’s who of tech is why we’re here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned—collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we’re committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.