See all jobs
Aug 6th, 2020
Software Quality Coach - Australia
The best software quality job in the world? We think so.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first team as Quality Coaches. You will be working on Octopus Deploy, the most popular deployment automation tool in the world. This means everything you do will positively affect the lives of thousands of software developers and operations teams around the world.
Working at Octopus may be different from any other job you’ve had before. At Octopus, quality is a team responsibility which means you will be coaching a handful of product teams to "shift quality left" and bake it in from the very beginning of the delivery process. We are more interested in your influencing and coaching abilities compared to your coding or testing abilities.
You will join our Software Quality team to work on Octopus Server, Octopus Cloud, and our commercial platform. We focus on doing work that matters using a method inspired by Shape Up. Our teams are software tradespeople who care about doing things right the first time. You will probably be surprised at how collaboratively we work both inside and across our teams, even though our teams work remotely. We take pride in our hard-earned, friendly, consensus-building, and ever-improving remote-first culture.
Read our employee handbook to discover what it's like working at Octopus.
Keep reading if you want more details about the job. Otherwise, click the button to apply and have a real conversation with a key leader from our team.
This job will be a great fit for you if
- You see yourself more as a coach/influencer/leader/mentor than a coder/tester.
- You already coach software teams to improve the reliability, performance, and usability of their products
- You work somewhere with a strong DevOps culture and read books like the Phoenix Project or the DevOps Handbook
- You teach/mentor other testers or quality coaches at work, local meetups, or conferences
- You are already competent with automated CI/CD tool chains like Octopus
What does success look like for a quality coach?
- Product teams you coach will become self-sufficient and ship high quality software at speed with less supervision
- With your help, product teams become aware of problemmatic quality trends and become more effective at detecting, eliminating, and eventually eradicating those quality problems
- Key quality indicators that we measure, like reliability, performance, and usability, are improving over time
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we now have over 25,000 happy customers around the world, and we employ 70+ wonderful people.
We're a boostrapped, profitable, growing business. We're not VC-funded, and our goal is to build a company that will last forever, while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, and UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home most of the week, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.