Experienced Backend Engineer - Java
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 2007, Theorem LLC (formerly Citrusbyte) is a remote-first, fully distributed, technology consulting company. Our customers, F1000's and startups alike, come to us because they need to change how something is done in order to succeed and they're looking for a solution that isn’t just about technology — but also people, process and leadership. We consult, form a diverse team of experts, and deliver strategy and execution all under one roof. Our services range from new product development, pure R&D, legacy modernization, pricing strategy development, revenue generation, process optimization, to organizational transformation and cultural design. Learn more about Theorem LLC at: theorem.co
WHAT YOU’LL DOAs Experienced Backend Engineer you will build greenfield and brownfield, scalable web platforms. In addition to providing input on app architecture, you will create and review pull requests daily and engage with internal teams and directly with clients with an agile environment. You will work in small teams with a product manager, designers and other engineers to scope design and implement features.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a passionate technologist with the discipline to create and finish projects. You have opinions about your favorite open source projects, or perhaps you have contributed to some or started one of your own. You are a communicator. Whether you are raising the flag within an implementation or sharing your favorite playlist in Slack, you will not shy away from letting your voice be heard.
We are only considering applicants within the United States or Canada in order to satisfy security and background check requirements.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Design and build scalable enterprise web applications using Modern Java, Spring boot environment
- Engage daily with your distributed, remote engineering team working on different layers of the infrastructure
- Collaborate with product designers and clients to clarify requirements, prototype functionality and build products
- Plan, estimate and prioritize work in a remote, distributed team environment
- Guide our clients in best practices in order to achieve great project success
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
- 5 + years of professional experience
- Strong server side development experience utilizing Java and Spring Boot
- Good knowledge of design and architectural patterns and development best practices
- Previous experience building scalable creating microservices is required
- Strong RDBMS experience (PostgreSQL specific features is a plus) is required
- Messaging experience with technologies like Kafka, Kineses, RabbitMQ, or similar is a must. Kafka is preferred.
- Experience deploying to containerized environments such a Docker and Kubernetes is also a strong plus
- Demonstrated proficiency with server side development using 2 or more programming languages such as Typescript, Scala, Python, Go or Rust, in addition to what is required for this role is highly preferred
- Strong hands on experience using Git is required
- Previous professional experience with cloud providers is required.
- Previous remote work experience is required
- Previous experience collaborating on highly distributed teams
- Previous consulting experience is a strong plus
- Experience working within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Possess a strong and reliable internet connection.
YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL WHEN
- You are able to hit the ground running within your area of expertise and are not afraid of challenges outside of it
- Thrive on collaborating with other team members and across disciplines
- You are happy to receive feedback and see it as an opportunity for reflection and improvement
- You are always learning - Whether you are learning to help your team and customer work through new concepts and technology
- You are astute, you know when to push an issue and when to let things lie
- You are friendly - you reach out to your teammates even if they aren’t on your project team
- You can work through ambiguity - you aren’t shy about asking questions to gain clarity
- Entrepreneurial and intrapreneurial - always on the lookout for new opportunities to improve the company externally and internally