A bit about us:
We’re on a mission to change healthcare — how it’s paid for, delivered, experienced. We want to put people center stage, not process or profit. We are guided by a deep belief that every person on Medicare should be treated like we would treat a member of our own family: with loving care and a profound commitment to their health and well-being.
That’s why we’re gathering a whole bunch of smart, big-hearted people to create a new kind of healthcare company — one that combines compassion, health insurance, clinical care, and technology seamlessly.
We want to throw the long ball with people we love for a cause we believe in. Life is short. Join us.
Make a difference... a big difference. You will have the opportunity, in a unique and dynamic culture, to be a part of something incredibly meaningful. We’re a disruptive startup with an inspiring mission. Learn and grow alongside our world-class team of healthcare, technology, and data leaders, dedicated to building a health plan and clinical services that care for everyone like they were our own mothers or fathers. Our team and board members have decades of experience in health policy, clinical services, data and technology. With their support, we look forward to building a health plan and clinical services that will give seniors easy access to the high-quality care they deserve.
A bit about this role:
Technology does amazing things in our daily lives, yet often is a source of pain and confusion within health care. We want to empower Devoted to deliver a world-class member experience with simple, flexible technical systems. If we need to delve into the murky underbelly of health care IT to do that, we’re up for the challenge.
Our north star is not a specific technology, but rather the goal of continually increasing the leverage of every member of the team. We’re currently building with Go, PostgreSQL, gRPC, GraphQL, React, TypeScript, Terraform, and AWS, and we think it’s a pretty awesome stack.
We want engineer-owners with the judgment to simultaneously solve for short and long-term business value. We’re looking for folks who have worked in complex domains and systems, and come through it with some wisdom but most importantly humility. We want people who are passionate about building great technology to solve problems for users—our members, our colleagues, and ourselves.
With a focus on the User, you should be skilled in understanding problems and feature requests as they’re presented; visualizing how it should look, feel, and work; and then building it! You will be working with member-facing teams (across our various product lines).
Whether you have a health care background or not, we are excited to learn from and share knowledge with you. Our engineering leadership team includes seasoned alumni of healthcare and technology organizations spanning the public and private sector. Our co-founders deeply understand and care about good technology: Todd Park co-founded Athenahealth, a multi-billion-dollar healthcare technology company, and served as CTO of the U.S.; Ed Park was Athenahealth's founding engineer and served as its CTO, COO, and President of Services.
Responsibilities will include:
- Building product features across a range of technologies with a human-centered focus
- Working with subject matter experts to understand and design solutions to improve our members' lives
- Working with other members of the technology team to improve our technology platform
Attributes to success:
- Strong user orientation; as you will create sophisticated, imaginative, and efficient front-end solutions for complex applications in a complex industry
- Experience coupled with a willingness to learn new things
- Comfort with uncertainty and a desire to be close to business problems
- Desire to contribute individually, with the ability both to self-direct work and to collaborate with others on the technology team
- Understanding of many technologies down to first principles, and a desire to add more to the list
Desired skills and experience:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment
- 7+ years working as an individual technical contributor
- 5+ years’ experience with React
- 3+ years' experience with TypeScript
- Strong experience working with product and design stakeholders, as well as gathering input from end users
- Experience with some of our specific stack components a bonus, but not required
If you love running towards complex challenges and transforming them into solutions, if you want to make a potentially huge impact on many lives, and if you are looking for a disruptive startup with an inspiring and talented team, Devoted Health may be the place for you!
Devoted is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a safe and supportive work environment in which all employees have the opportunity to participate and contribute to the success of the business. We value diversity and collaboration. Individuals are respected for their skills, experience, and unique perspectives. This commitment is embodied in Devoted’s Code of Conduct, our company values and the way we do business.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy status, marital status, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor prohibited by law. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment.