See all jobs
Sep 24th, 2020
Staff Engineer - Full Stack, Editor
At Medium, we’re building a platform that gives people a place to share their stories and ideas. To do that, we create simple and beautiful product experiences that prioritize the user experience. We built the best editor on the web using the cutting-edge technologies available at the time, and we’re now creating a stack for the future using modern tooling like React, Jest, and GraphQL.
We prioritize fast iteration without compromising quality, while maintaining an attention to detail that creates the kind of thoughtful interactions we’re known for.
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic, and self-aware engineers to join our team to help us move thinking forward. With a strong focus on growth and personal development, Medium is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
What will you do?
As a member on the Editor team, you’ll help engineer one of the foundational pieces of technology, which impacts the millions of readers and creators on Medium, the editor. We are rethinking the experience from the ground up. As a full stack engineer on this team you'll architect and build product features from the database all the way to the UI in support of editor functionality. You’ll collaborate closely with colleagues in design and product, and bring innovative and delightful designs to life. You’ll sweat the details and make things shine.
Who are you?
- You have 7+ years of software engineering experience.
- You are just as comfortable working on the backend as you are the frontend.
- You have experience in programming and interacting with APIs.
- You have experience building single page web applications.
- You are flexible, dedicated, and curious.
- You believe in the craft of software engineering, but are pragmatic when necessary.
- You draw inspiration from prior art, but are driven to innovate beyond it.
- You respectfully challenge your peers, and welcome being challenged.
- You are passionate about learning, and want to help us learn too.
We’d particularly love it if
- You have experience building and extending web based editors (Slate, ProseMirror, Quill, etc)
- You have experience with AWS(RDS, SQS, DynamoDB)
- You have experience working in a service-oriented or microservice architecture
- You have deep knowledge of API design principles and best-practices, caching, resiliency, RPC, REST, and HTTP
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you!
This role is available remotely for U.S. workers.
We understand the value of diverse backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.