At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors. Our community includes over 1.4 M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
The Content Understanding team's mission is to provide accurate and up-to-date metadata about Scribd's content as a means towards enabling better product experiences for Scribd users. The work includes:
• Building and maintaining metadata extraction pipelines, document metadata storage, and APIs that expose metadata to other Scribd systems.
• Analyzing uploaded documents for copyright infringement, spam, and other quality checks.
•Building and maintaining systems that link documents to Scribd’s taxonomy and other classification systems.
• Exposing all documents to search indexers through sitemaps.
Scribd's ability to surface more relevant, topical, and personalized content hinges on our ability to understand the content of each book, audiobook, article, and uploaded document. The output and success of the Content Understanding team is a strategic pillar of Scribd's future growth.
The team is split between our San Francisco headquarters and our Toronto office. We use tools that emphasize asynchronous communication (Slack, Github, Jira, Google Docs) but will also pair program or jump into a meeting room when those are the best approaches. Regardless of the medium, excellent communication skills are a must. We operate with autonomy (developers closest to the code will make the most well-informed decisions) while holding ourselves and each other accountable for using good judgement when faced with each day's unique challenges.
Our technical work is divided between our online Rails application and our offline Databricks environment. Many of the systems we're responsible for span both environments, so engineers regularly work within both. Though the tech stacks differ between environments, the engineering work in both is the same - create data pipelines to ingest, process, clean, and layout the metadata coming from publishers and other external sources, as well as create new metadata from our vast content base.
The team is a team first. We work collaboratively, not as engineers working on individual projects in silos. We continually strive for inclusivity and strongly value diversity. We recognize that everyone has a unique set of work and life experiences, and believe that a broader set of perspectives will produce better results for all. Each day provides both opportunities to perform and opportunities to learn. We support others' growth and celebrate our collective achievements.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you've probably seen quite a bit in your career, and we want to leverage all of it. Full-cycle software development will be your primary function, but we'll expect you to contribute in a number of ways, including advising on others' technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews, and mentoring less experienced engineers.
When you are doing software development, you'll be doing more than just coding a ticket handed to you. You'll own the design, implementation, delivery, and operation of systems, end-to-end. You'll consider testability, upgradeability, scalability, and observability throughout the development process. You'll regularly have one or two engineers following your lead, whose output you will be responsible for. On Content Understanding, a Senior Backend Engineer is a leader.
Office or remote?
At this time the role will start as full-time remote, as all of our employees are working from home. When everyone is able to return to the office this role is available at our new office in San Francisco or in our Toronto office. This position can also be fully remote.
• 8+ years of experience as a professional software engineer
• Experience working with data pipelines, both real-time and batch offline
• Experience working with systems at Scribd's current scale
• Bachelor’s in CS or equivalent professional experience
Benefits & Perks of Life at Scribd
• Health & Welfare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums.
• Leaves: Paid Parental leave, and 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans
• Registered Retirement Savings Plan matching
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Catered lunches 5 days a week
• Office located in Downtown Toronto
• Referral bonuses
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness benefit
• Luma by Concern, our mental health digital platform
• Work Life Balance flexibility
• Company events
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.
At Scribd, we value people above everything else. We're building a diverse workplace and an inclusive culture to give more people the chance to change the way the world reads. Scribd is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply because we believe that a diverse set of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.