Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas. To do that, we create simple and beautiful product experiences that prioritize the user experience.
We value fast iteration without compromising quality, while maintaining an attention to detail
that creates the kind of thoughtful interactions we’re known for.
We’re looking for mindful, empathetic, and self-aware engineers to join our team to help us move thinking forward. With a strong focus on growth and personal development
, Medium is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
What will you do?
As a Staff Engineer on the Creator Success team, you’ll help engineer Medium’s one-of-a-kind writing and blogging ecosystem to make it the best home for creators to spread ideas worth reading. You’ll be the lead of a team of engineers, and you’ll collaborate with them to set technical roadmaps, explore what’s possible with product and design, and help shape the processes of the team.
In your day to day, you’ll architect and build product features from the database all the way to the UI. You’ll collaborate closely with colleagues in design and product, and bring innovative and delightful designs to life. You’ll sweat the details and make things shine.
Who you are?
- You have 7+ years of software engineering experience.
- You have experience in leading teams and planning and executing large projects.
- You are just as comfortable working on the backend as you are the frontend.
- You have experience in programming and interacting with APIs.
- You have experience building single page web applications.
- You are flexible, dedicated, and curious.
- You believe in the craft of software engineering, but are pragmatic when necessary.
- You draw inspiration from prior art, but are driven to innovate beyond it.
- You respectfully challenge your peers, and welcome being challenged.
- You are passionate about learning, and want to help us learn too.
We’d particularly love it if:
- You have experience with AWS(RDS, SQS, DynamoDB)
- You have experience working in a service-oriented or microservice architecture
- You have deep knowledge of API design principles and best-practices, caching, resiliency, RPC, REST, and HTTP
This role can be based in San Francisco, New York, or be remote within the U.S.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.