The Platform Team at Tessian
Job location: this individual can choose whether they would like to be based at our offices (London, UK) or work remotely.
Read more about Engineering at Tessian: https://stackoverflow.com/jobs/companies/tessian
We're looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer for the Platform Team at Tessian. The Platform Team is responsible for defining and operating the infrastructure upon which our development teams and customers depend. This will be someone experienced in both platform engineering (including Terraform) and software engineering (we use Python). Why is this role exciting:
- We have plans for fast growth in terms of customer numbers and our Engineering team.
- We have an ambitious product vision and a strong team determined to execute on it.
- We solve hard problems - scale, big data (Spark/EMR), security, large databases (PostgreSQL, DynamoDB) and complex integrations.
- Your work will leverage the work of our 50+ strong engineering team and all of our customers.
- You will help to provide internal tooling to automate and enable self-service to increase development efficiency.
What are our current and upcoming projects:
- A large migration from AWS ECS to Kubernetes - in the past few years it has become clear to us that using AWS ECS is slowing us down. We have an ambitious goal to migrate most of our platform to Kubernetes by the end of the year, with an aim of speeding up our engineering teams.
- Providing tooling to increase development velocity and security - we aim to provide tooling to automate and enable developers to deploy to production, while providing safeguards to prevent issues.
- Bolstering our security and deployments for Enterprise - we intend to close more enterprise deals and have a plan to do it. A key project we plan to start will be creating a deployment method that allows us to maintain developer velocity whilst also giving reassurances to security conscious customers.
- Keeping the lights on as we scale to bigger customers - a crucial part of this role is to ensure that our systems remain reliable and working with engineering teams to drive quality and solve problems.
What will your responsibilities be:
- Improve efficiency by finding and fixing gaps in our tooling
- Maintain and support business-critical systems
- Enable developers to ship code to production every day using CI/CD techniques
- Tackle the challenges that come with processing highly sensitive data
- Make your mark on ambitious projects
We'd love to meet someone who:
- Has at least 5 years of AWS and DevOps experience.
- Can design and write code, preferably in Python or if not is excited to learn Python.
- Is a great problem solver who takes pride in their work.
- Has strong experience managing a range of production applications in a distributed and highly available AWS environment.
- Has experience with and is opinionated about containerization (Docker) and a container orchestration system (e.g. ECS/Kubernetes).
- Has experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform).
- Has a deep understanding of Linux operating system and administration skills, and shell-scripting skills.
- Has a deep understanding of server/network security concepts and implementations.
Why we think you'll love it here.... It’s important to us that all Tessians are part of the journey we’re on, so we offer equity options with every role and benchmark to provide above market rate salaries - there’s plenty more too….
Be at your best, both inside and outside of work
- 25 days of paid holiday (including an additional day for every year you've worked at Tessian!)
- Private health insurance provided through Vitality Health and mental health support through our Employee Assistance Program
- Classpass - subsided access to gym time and classes all across London
- Flexible working hours and working from home (if you're not already remote!)
- Enhanced pension contributions, matched up to 5%
- We’re family friendly, with policies built to support you in all stages of life
- High-quality tech kit provided for you to work on including Tessian ANC headphones
- If you're relocating to join the team, we'll provide a contribution to help with your costs