Who We Are:
At Flockjay, we are here to empower upward mobility through education and access. Our goal is to create pathways to future-proof careers for people from non-traditional and underrepresented backgrounds. We have an experienced team from companies like Airbnb, Intercom, Dropbox, and Teach for America, and have raised capital from the best investors in the industry, including Y Combinator, Serena Williams, and Lightspeed Ventures.
Tomorrow's companies will be defined by how they invest in people. Our team is small and growing - join us and make a meaningful impact. Let’s build a generational company together.
Who You Are:
Are you here to celebrate, champion, and empower upwards mobility for people from non-traditional and underrepresented backgrounds? Are you a driven and self-motivated accountant excited by challenging traditional models of education and creating more pathways into tech?
If you answered with a spirited “Yes!” to all the above, we’d love to have you join our flock!
We are looking for a talented, highly motivated Senior Accountant to join our small, but quickly growing team. This team member will have ownership of a variety of tasks related to Flockjay’s finances: managing the financial statements, sales and payments process, as well as supporting and initiating general accounting and reporting process improvements. Since we are in a stage of hyper growth, our ideal candidate is eager and ready for increasing levels of leadership and responsibility.
In this role you’ll report to our CEO, work closely with other team leads, and be fully remote.
What You'll Do
- Report to the Founder/CEO and oversee the financial aspects of the company
- Support global month-end close activities, including preparation of journal entries, reconciliations and financial statements
- Assist with the development and implementation of new systems and internal controls that meet Flockjay’s business growth and culture
- Facilitate accounting team’s commitment to timely and accurate processing of accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP and compliance internationally
- Maintain the cash records for the company; reconcile all cash accounts with bank-provided information, including credit card transactions with reports from those agencies
- Assist in evaluation and implementation of new accounting policies and procedures
- Proactively identify issues and areas for improvement within the current close process and implement process improvements
- Assist with preparation of material as required for the board of directors
- Provide a high level of customer service with finance and non-finance business partners
- Well versed in multiple areas of accounting
- Perform other ad-hoc projects and analyses as directed by management
- Assist with the interim and annual audit and tax filings
What You'll Bring
- Experience -- 5+ years of progressive accounting experience (public accounting and industry, preferred)
- Working knowledge of US GAAP and internal controls
- Team-mindset -- you have the ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization
- Proactivity — you’re motivated by the opportunity to deliver genuine value to our students and build this business, and you’re willing to dive right in!
- Adaptability — things change quickly and you’ll need to keep up!
- Belief - you believe in what Flockjay is doing to democratize education & access
- Grit - you’re willing to take initiative and work autonomously knowing you have the full support of the team
- Organizational Skills - you’re able to juggle multiple initiatives with ease, while maintaining excellent writing, communication, and documentation
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Experience with Quickbooks preferred
- Previous experience at a scaling startup is a plus and public accounting preferred
- BA/BS degree in accounting or similar
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging at Flockjay
We believe diversity is strength & difference is a teacher. We know we'll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we're represented and we belong. We strive to provide the support required to create a safe, positive environment.
We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We believe organizations must build diversity, inclusion, and belonging into their DNA. Those that do so will build better products, provide better services, and be positive forces in the world.