See all jobs
Feb 12th, 2021
Systems Engineer - Australia
The best systems engineer job in the world? We think so.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first team.
You will be working on Octopus Deploy, the most popular deployment automation tool in the world. This means everything you do will positively affect the lives of thousands of software developers and operations teams around the world.
You will join the Trust, Security & Operations team, working within the Operations pod, and be responsible for the effectiveness of the operation and reliability of our digital environments, tools, and processes that support the delivery of our products and services.
You’ll use your experience in building, maintaining, and administering large networks of on-premise and cloud environments to support the quality and reliability of a world-class product that affects the quality of life of thousands of developers worldwide.
You will probably be surprised at how collaboratively we work both inside and across our teams, even though our teams work remotely. We take pride in our hard-earned, friendly, consensus-building, and ever-improving remote-first culture.
Working at Octopus may be different from any other job you’ve had before. At Octopus, your effort will be appreciated because you are adding value to our products, which are our assets. Also, our customers are people just like us. This makes it easy to relate to our customers and understand what they care about most.
Octopus is not a startup. We do not need venture capital. We have been a sustainably profitable business from day one. We care about building a sustainable company, and we do this by helping customers succeed, leaving increased revenue as a happy byproduct.
A typical day might include
- Triage & resolution of incoming infrastructure issues
- Escalating to and working with security and engineering teams
- Authoring and delivering on designs for infrastructure improvements
- Providing knowledge sharing sessions with other team members
- Contributing ideas that improve our environment and coming up with strategies to ensure we are safe from those threats
- Working within the Operations Team on daily tasks
- Participating in decision making of infrastructure design and architecture
- Managing infrastructure in multiple cloud environments with the aim to ensure reliable operation
- Managing the digital infrastructure that supports our engineering build pipeline and diagnostics
- Working with external auditors and testers to assure our environment regularly
- Helping other teams in Octopus in regards to Operations issues
- Researching, identifying & responding to reliability and performance issues
- Participating in the triage of inquiries & incidents that are escalated to the operations team
- Participating in on-call and IR rotations
You will be a great fit for this role if you can demonstrate
- Strong knowledge of systems administration in Azure & AWS in Windows and Linux environments
- Scripting or programming language experience
- Broad knowledge in technologies including networking infrastructure, containers, databases, and security appliances/applications
- A solid grounding in infrastructure automation and management
- Understanding of compliance frameworks and asset management
- Effectively engage and influence internal/external stakeholders.
- Work autonomously and provide solutions in a sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Mentoring others in their growth and development of systems engineering
- Experienced troubleshooting skillsExperience using infrastructure as code technologies like Terraform
- Experience operating within zero trust networks
- Basic Understanding of Kubernetes concepts with a passion for learning about Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience in using a popular SIEM or log analytics platform like Splunk, Graylog, or Sumo Logic (desirable)
We'd love to hear from you. Please send your CV and include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Octopus would be a good fit for you. If you look like a good fit, we will be in touch to arrange a Zoom chat with one of our senior engineers.
Please note: We'll start contacting candidates after the 22nd of February
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we now have over 25,000 happy customers around the world, and we employ 70+ wonderful people.
We're a bootstrapped, profitable, growing business. We're not VC-funded, and our goal is to build a company that will last forever, while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, and UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home most of the week, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.