See all jobs
Mar 8th, 2021
Design Director, Books
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Our mission hinges on design: designing a product that helps readers discover the stories that matter to them; designing an ecosystem that supports and rewards quality writing; designing an experience that respects intelligence and is worth paying for. We are building this future, one product release at a time, and looking to designers to help lead the way.
We are looking for a Design Director to lead the brand-new Books initiative at Medium. Medium is expanding into books, aiming to be the best platform for reading and writing, whether it’s a short blog post or a full-length book. You will collaborate with product and engineering peers to develop a vision for Medium Books and work with the team to execute on that vision. You will collaborate closely with the VP of Product Design on high-level strategy, and translate that strategy into clear guidance, process, and feedback for product designers. This is a high-impact role with the opportunity to shape how millions of people discover and share ideas every day.
What will you do?
- Lead the design vision for the end-to-end books experience on Medium, including hands-on product design work.
- Manage and develop one product designer, setting clear goals, evolving our design process, bringing in best practices, building a strong team culture, and ensuring that they have what they need to be successful.
- Partner with the VP of Product Design to develop strategic goals for the reader experience and work with your team to make that vision come to life.
- Establish a strong design process that makes space for innovative, divergent exploration and maintains the highest levels of creative execution.
- Work with product management, engineering, and data science to ensure a well-aligned and coordinated product development process. This includes advocating for design and upholding a culture of respect and trust across disciplines.
- Develop product design strategies that are informed by user research, business objectives, and design best practices.
Who are you?
- You have experience leading design teams working on consumer Internet products, ideally with experience working on books or media products.
- You are comfortable doing hands-on design work and managing other designers.
- You have a track record of mentoring and developing designers to do their best work. You value open collaboration and know how to foster a culture of trust.
- You excel at bringing clarity and structure to ideas and can put in place strong processes to make them happen.
- You love big sweeping ideas but also enjoy the details. From product ideation and system thinking to kerning and grids, you demonstrate a capacity and enthusiasm for the spectrum of design.
- You have experience managing designers that work with cross-functional product teams in an agile / scrum environment.
- You have a deep understanding of UX best practices in mobile and web applications.
- You have strong portfolio of design work demonstrating end-to-end product design on products at varying points of the product life-cycle.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We understand the value of diverse backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.