We are looking to hire a Principal Engineer to be the founding member of our infrastructure team. This team will be responsible for projects that span across our entire platform, such as authentication, A/B testing frameworks, deployment and development tooling, and overall service architecture. Collaborate with engineering management across all of application development and drive the strategic roadmap to realize the long term vision of our platform. At Minted engineering we marry design with technology to deliver unique products that are beautiful and co-created by our artist community and our customers. Our engineers take on multiple roles and challenges not defined by titles, and we have a strong culture of mentorship and promoting from within, as well as project roadmaps that enable us to cross-train and learn from one another. We are a metrics-driven organization and we work hard to make sure every project we do is measurably impactful. We strive to maintain the balance between building out new features and scaling our platform while staying agile in a fast-moving environment.
Please note: this position is open to remote work.
- Plan and implement major technical projects that serve the rest of the application development teams.
- Work closely with engineering management to contribute to the strategic technical planning with a 12-18 month future view.
- Build tooling for development, testing, and deployments that will make the development experience of other engineers better.
- Serve on the architecture council that reviews technical plans and designs across all of the engineering organization.
- Drive "buy vs. build" decisions on key infrastructure components.
- Opinionated about service architecture, scalability, and security.
- Someone who opportunistically reduces technical debt on everything you touch.
- Passionate about developer experience and keen on removing toil via technical solutions.
- Someone who cares about reducing complexity, increasing re-usability across the entire codebase beyond your direct scope of responsibilities.
- Someone who improves the productivity and quality of engineers who work directly with you on projects.
- 7+ years professional experience as a software developer
- Strong programming skills in more than one language
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to articulate ideas to engineers and senior leadership alike
- Extensive experience designing, building and migrating complex software systems
- The ability to understand business problems and synthesize types which accurately model them
- A Solid understanding of reliability and scalability issues with distributed systems on unreliable hardware
- The desire to ship greater than desire to polish
Bonus Points For:
- Experience working in a fast-paced, agile e-commerce environment
- Theoretical knowledge of distributed systems algorithms
- Stream processing system experience like Spark Streaming, Cloud Dataflow, Apache Flink, Apache Beam
- Theoretical knowledge of database performance, durability and consistency, ideally with distributed data stores
- Experience with Protocol Buffers and/or GRPC
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or GCPExperience with Docker, Kubernetes
Minted is a design marketplace, sourcing creative content from independent artists around the globe and selling the best designs to the world in the form of art, home decor, and stationery. Founded in 2007 by Mariam Naficy on the principles of transparency and putting design first, we are early pioneers of crowdsourcing having launched our first design challenge in April 2008 and have held monthly art and design challenges ever since. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter to learn more. Our corporate headquarters is located near the waterfront in downtown San Francisco, with additional offices in Oakland and Kansas City and we're backed by Benchmark Capital, IDG Ventures SF, Menlo Ventures, Primera (angel investors include Marissa Mayer of Yahoo and Jeremy Stoppelman of Yelp). We're a team of smart, ambitious, creative, and passionate people who come from all walks of life. Might you be one of us?