Atlassian is continuing to hire with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. All new and existing Atlassians will continue to work from home until it’s safe to return to our offices. When our offices re-open, we will provide the choice to work from home or return to work in an office unless a job requirement makes it necessary for a particular role to be performed at an Atlassian office.
Atlassian is seeking an experienced, strategic, and innovative Principal Data Architect to lead in the expansion of the company’s use of data as a strategic enabler of corporate goals and objectives. This individual will act as a trusted technical partner to the Data Engineering leadership team.
In this role as a Principal Data Architect, you will be working with the Corporate Data Engineering (DE), Go to Market (DE), and Data platform teams to provide strategic guidance as to how teams should approach the design and implementation of reliable, performant and scalable data solutions. You will be relied up on to research and recommend integration and analytical products and architectural patterns as well as possessing the ability to provide implementation guidance. Great communication and collaboration is crucial to this role as you will be partnering with teams across IT, R&D and various business units and should be able to articulate the current and end-state architectures to the various stakeholders.
More about you
In this role, you will:
- Lead the IT data strategy and data architecture (which includes Enterprise IT information architecture, as well as applications / tools / platforms that are related to data architect) in order to meet the business' information needs
- Gain an understanding of the current data architecture, sources and tooling and then, with the data data platform team, define the target data architecture strategy that builds on business objectives
- Partner with other architects to influence data strategy at Enterprise level
- Push the organization become more data driven and drive forward towards innovations in the data space; actively learn from the broader industry and brings insights back to the organization
- Foster a culture of collaboration with the disparate data teams throughout the organization
- Introduce standard methodologies and principles around data governance to enable consistent delivery and enable alignment with strategic direction
- Partner with compliance teams to ensure DE is meeting data governance requirements (privacy, security, data retention, etc)
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- 10 + years demonstrated ability as an Data Architect for a technology organization
- Combined 15+ years of experience in several of the following areas: software design and development; architecting of modern heavily utilized, highly available data applications
- Proficiency in defining current and future state data architecture models
- In depth knowledge of cloud data platforms (eg Amazon AWS, DataBricks)
- Expertise in designing and building SQL, no-SQL, big data, GraphDB, APIs and streaming solutions
- Deep experience in software engineering practices – design principles and patterns, unit testing, performance engineering, best practices for security and privacy
- Experience with Neural Networks, machine learning, deep learning and NLP tools and frameworks
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and the ability to build original concepts and hypotheses for a variety of projects
- Excellent communication skills that translates business problems in technical solutions
- Ability to switch anytime from being a high-level strategy person to an “in the weeds” technical person
- High level of energy and a desire to thrive in a large, fast-paced organization; ability to balance multiple projects under pressure
More about our team
Data is a BIG deal at Atlassian. We ingest over 180 billion events each month into our real-time platform and we have dozens of teams across the company depending on the speed and data the platform provides.
You’ll be joining a strong team that is spread out among multiple Atlassian locations. We value when people ask hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work. We are independent but love highly collaborative team environments, so you'll get the opportunity to work with lots of other awesome people just like you.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who’s who of tech is why we’re here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned—collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we’re committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Learn more about Atlassian’s culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub