Atlassian is continuing to hire with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. All new and existing Atlassians will continue to work from home until it’s safe to return to our offices. When our offices re-open, we will provide the choice to work from home or return to work in an office unless a job requirement makes it necessary for a particular role to be performed at an Atlassian office.
Atlassian is seeking a Principal Software Engineer to join our Data Exchange Platform team! The DXP team builds abstracted data movement and exchange capabilities via technically opinionated services with the goal of scaling, standardizing, and evolving the transit of data at Atlassian. This team has a wide impact across Atlassian's portfolio of products including innovations and acquisitions. We build services for scale - handling tens of thousands of requests per second and hundreds of millions of requests per day from Atlassian customers. We value and encourage autonomy, and our team members like to roll up their sleeves and drive change. We have a high operational bar and take pride in setting team members up for success.
You'll be joining a dynamic, 25-person engineering team that delivers impactful, creative improvements to our products. As a forward-thinking leader, you'll collaborate regularly with engineers and provide new insights and feedback to help the team deliver a remarkable customer experience. You'll guide the team through ambiguity and new terrain, surefooted and pragmatic even in the dark.
On their first day, we'll expect the candidates to have:
- Excellent, in-depth command over SaaS and Cloud with extensive understanding of AWS and the building blocks within that platform
- Experience building and running large-scale event-based systems like Kafka, AWS Kinesis, or similar
- Solid understanding of API design and data modeling fundamentals
- Awareness of the nuances of secure cloud design across Infrastructure and Data
- Ability to modulate between going wide to address a problem space in tandem with delegating responsibilities to junior team members, as well as rolling your sleeves and diving deep into execution of more abstract problem spaces and prototypes as needed.
- Proficiency in any modern object-oriented programming language (e.g., Java, Kotlin, Go, Scala etc.). This role involves being an integral part of the implementation as well.
- Engineering discipline to produce software with quality as part of a high trust team
- Clear, well-articulated communication to build and express a technical vision for a given platform capability and pitch it to critical internal partners
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent
It's great, but not required, if you have:
- Familiarity with enterprise practices like data access control, data sovereignty, and data residency
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who’s who of tech is why we’re here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned—collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we’re committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Learn more about Atlassian’s culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub