See all jobs
Apr 13th, 2021
Software Engineer - Engineering Productivity
Pay: $100 - $160,000
Software Engineer - Engineering Productivity
$100-$160,000 plus super
At Octopus Deploy, we’re passionate about solving the problems our customers face so they can focus on what they do best. Our people are our assets and we currently boast a team of 100+ talented individuals (and growing) who help over 150,000 people worldwide to deliver working software to production
You will be a great fit for this role if:
- You are drawn to improving CI, deployment and release pipelines.
- You optimise them for reliability, maintainability, cost and speed.
- You are comfortable picking up a new language to write or modify a plugin.
- You know more than the basics for YAML, XML, JSON, CSV, etc.
- You are passionate about great testing and debugging experiences and you have created debugging tools, test data or test systems to make that easier
- You are comfortable using metrics to find and understanding problems, using them to drive improvements and measure if you succeeded.
- You find joy in improving the lives of your colleagues.
- You are an experienced individual contributor or leader in your current job.
- You are comfortable making good decisions with general concepts like dependency, extensibility, and compatibility; and perhaps you are a specialist in an area of software engineering.
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
A typical day might include:
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, then shipping a release to customers around the world via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often within the same day.
- Handling an inbound support ticket from a customer, helping them succeed with Octopus, or offering advice to a customer in our community Slack workspace.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Octopus in the process so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or design a new feature.
- Fixing a bug using an approach like red-green-refactor to prevent customers from experiencing that bug again.
- Improving our documentation to help customers discover solutions for themselves, and learn how to use Octopus for more complicated workflows.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Octopus.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you. Please include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Octopus would be a good fit for you.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first team. We are currently unable to provide visa sponsorship.
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we have helped 25,000 companies to automate complex deployments, and we employ 100+ wonderful people.
We're a growing, profitable business. Our goal is to build a company that will last forever, while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, and UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.