See all jobs
Apr 29th, 2021
Pay: $140 - $200,000
$140-$200,000 plus super
At Octopus Deploy, we’re passionate about solving the problems our customers face so they can focus on what they do best. Our people are our assets and we currently boast a team of 100+ talented individuals (and growing) who help over 150,000 people worldwide to deliver working software to production.
You will join one of our development teams to work on Octopus Server, Octopus Cloud, and our commercial platform. We shape, bet, and build using a method inspired by Shape Up. We work in 8-week cycles, focusing on directed work for 6-weeks, and "sharpening the saw" with undirected work for 2-weeks at the end of each cycle. We remove unnecessary obstacles so you can work directly with customers who are developers just like us.
You will be a great fit for this role if
- You are an experienced people manager, and have been a software developer in the past.
- You have a firm grasp of the software trade using any language or toolset (but C# and Typescript experience is helpful).
- You take ultimate responsibility for the people in your team, the way they work, and the results they deliver.
- You empower your team to get things done and you drive results collaboratively.
- You recognise dysfunction in your team and work effectively to resolve it in a timely manner.
- You give radically candid feedback which is timely, actionable, and helpful.
- The feedback you give in performance reviews is rarely a surprise because it summarises the timely, actionable, and helpful feedback your teammate has been receiving.
You will enjoy this role if
- You thrive on solving people problems.
- You like managing a team of autonomous workers, holding them accountable to results and letting them manage how they get there.
- You like a balance of freedom and responsibility, being treated as an adult.
- You want to do the best work of your life with other like-minded people.
- You enthusiastically accept radically candid feedback, feedback that is thoughtful, timely, and directly actionable, and offer the same benefit to others.
A typical day might include
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Clarifying the goals, roles, and execution plans for your team.
- Helping your team understand our strategy and how they are contributing to the big picture.
- Proactively coaching people remotely, accelerating them along their personal growth trajectory.
- Being a positive contributor to how we approach people and culture in the engineering team, including hiring, firing, performance reviews, culture fit, salary reviews, and how we pay.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you. Please include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Octopus would be a good fit for you.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first team. We are currently unable to provide visa sponsorship.
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we have helped 25,000 companies to automate complex deployments, and we employ 100+ wonderful people.
We're a growing, profitable business. Our goal is to build a company that will last forever, while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, and UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.