Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Our mission hinges on design: designing a product that helps readers discover the stories that matter to them; designing an ecosystem that supports and rewards quality writing; designing an experience that respects intelligence and is worth paying for. We are building this future, one product release at a time, and looking to designers to help lead the way.
We are looking for a Principal Product Designer to work on our Mobile team, focusing on making Medium’s mobile app experiences the best places to discover and share great ideas. You will collaborate with product and engineering peers to develop a vision for Medium native apps and work with the team to execute on that vision.
What will do you?
- Lead the design vision for Medium’s mobile apps, creating a best in class experience that is compelling, innovative, and clear.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, and editorial teams to find elegant but practical solutions to design challenges. Together, you’ll solve problems and come up with solutions that delight our users.
- Rapidly produce multiple concepts and prototypes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Use competitive research, user research, and a keen product design sensibility to develop solutions that are intuitive and compelling.
Who are you?
- You have experience designing for native mobile apps, and are deeply familiar with iOS and Android standards and design patterns. You know how to design an app that feels cohesive across platforms, while adapting to the needs and constraints of different hardware and software.
- You love big sweeping ideas but also enjoy the details. From product ideation and system thinking to kerning and grids, you demonstrate a capacity and enthusiasm for the spectrum of design.
- You have demonstrated experience leading the design process from start to finish. Whether creating a research plan, brainstorming, creating wireframes, crafting detailed UI/UX, prototyping, or just building a Powerpoint, you feel comfortable using a variety of methods and tools to go from idea to reality, bringing others along with you through the process.
- You have experience designing experiments — you know how to use hypotheses to drive solutions and apply qualitative and quantitative data to make design decisions.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and have shown an ability to bring clarity and structure to a complex system or user experience challenge.
- You have strong visual awareness and sensibilities.
- You’re a great communicator who can design frameworks to help us find opportunities, brainstorm and illustrate concepts, and effectively tell the stories of your ideas.
- You thrive when you’re working with a small team in an ever-changing environment. You are confident, willing to learn, and want to collaborate with others to design world-class experiences.
- Experience working on social or media products is a plus.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We understand the value of diverse backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.