See all jobs
May 17th, 2021
Head of Growth Marketing
Here at Medium, we are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.We are seeking a highly dynamic, analytical, and collaborative Head of Growth Marketing to join our marketing team. Reporting to the SVP of Marketing and Content, and working closely with our Product Lifecycle and Audience Development teams, you’ll build and execute strategies to drive awareness and subscriber growth for Medium, focusing heavily on earned and owned channels in the near-term. The ideal candidate will have deep expertise in lifecycle marketing, performance marketing, martech, and marketing analytics. This is an outstanding opportunity for a hands-on, startup mentality leader who’s excited to build our growth marketing vision and systems from the ground up!
What will you do?
- Lead Medium’s performance marketing efforts, focused on acquiring, converting and retaining Medium users/subscribers through owned, earned, and paid channels
- Identify opportunities for product optimization at all stages of the customer journey (from landing pages, through activation, through conversion, retention, and winback), partnering with Product leadership to prioritize and execute
- Oversee Lifecycle marketing team, leveraging email, push, and in-app channels to activate, engage, convert & retain users
- Build our paid marketing strategy and capabilities from the ground up, ensuring we have the right tools, tracking, and setup in place for anything from light media testing to more robust campaigns
- Optimize and grow our martech stack in close collaboration with Engineering & Data teamsPartner with audience development and SEO teams to identify opportunities to amplify existing efforts, and better convert organic audience
- Take a customer-first approach to all growth efforts, championing user benefit, satisfaction, and trust over growth hacking
Who are you?
- 10-15 years relevant professional experience, with a strong background in customer acquisition and retention within a digital/subscription business
- 7+ years of Lifecycle/CRM Marketing (email, push, in-app) experience, with 3+ years experience managing a team
- 7+ years of performance marketing experience (in-house Marketing team or agency). Demonstrated success running multi-channel, full-funnel campaigns across search, social, display, affiliate, and offline channels (direct media buying experience a must)
- Deep knowledge of and expertise in martech automation/technology tools (e.g. Salesforce, Braze, Optimizely), with proven experience in setup & implementation
- You’re an innovative leader who’s keen to explore outside-the-box strategies for driving customer awareness and acquisition
- You value the customer experience above all else, optimizing for customer satisfaction and LTV over short-term growth hacking
This position is based in our New York office, remote locations also considered.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We understand the value of diverse backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.