The best product development job in the world? We think so.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia to join our remote-first team. You will be working on Octopus Deploy, the most popular deployment automation tool in the world. This means everything you do will positively affect the lives of thousands of software developers and operations teams around the world.
You will join one of our development teams to work on Octopus Server, Octopus Cloud, and our commercial platform.
We shape, bet, and build using a method inspired by Shape Up
. We work in 8-week cycles, focusing on directed work for 6-weeks, and "sharpening the saw" with undirected work for 2-weeks at the end of each cycle. We remove unnecessary obstacles so you can work directly with customers who are developers just like us. Our teams are software tradespeople who care about doing things right the first time. You will probably be surprised at how collaboratively we work both inside and across our teams, even though our teams work remotely. We take pride in our hard-earned, friendly, consensus-building, and ever-improving remote-first culture.
A typical day might include -
- Working where you work best, perhaps in a home office designed by you, using a device of your choosing, with or without music, in an atmosphere you create for yourself.
- Changing source code hosted in GitHub, most of it in the open, collaborating on a pull-request, then shipping a release to customers around the world via an automated build, test, and delivery pipeline, often within the same day.
- Handling an inbound support ticket from a customer, helping them succeed with Octopus, or offering advice to a customer in our community Slack workspace.
- Pairing with another software engineer or a support engineer to help them reproduce a tricky problem, helping them understand the inner workings of Octopus in the process so they can be more helpful to even more customers over time.
- Pairing with another engineer on a Zoom call to solve a complex technical problem or design a new feature.
- Fixing a bug using an approach like red-green-refactor to prevent customers from experiencing that bug again.
- Improving our documentation to help customers discover solutions for themselves, and learn how to use Octopus for more complicated workflows.
- Writing a blog post about something interesting for other developers, or explaining a new feature of Octopus.
You will be a great fit for this role if -
- You are an experienced individual contributor or leader in your current job.
- You have a firm grasp of the software trade using any language or toolset but preferably C# and TypeScript.
- You are comfortable making good decisions with general concepts like dependency, extensibility, and compatibility; and perhaps you are a specialist in an area of software engineering.
- You enjoy automating things like builds, tests, deployments, infrastructure, and operational tasks.
- You are able to work independently, motivating yourself to do high-quality work on time, communicating with your teammates when you need help or when you are ready for something new.
- You enjoy collaborating with other people to solve problems, challenging each other to discover the best solution for a problem, using a balance of passion, pragmatism, and empathy.
- You are a results-oriented person, someone who is focused on iteratively delivering valuable things to your customers, someone who willingly changes direction based on clear and transparent business information, and someone who helps others do the same.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you. Please include a cover letter outlining what you can bring to the role and how Octopus would be a good fit for you.
We are looking for people who live and work in Australia or New Zealand to join our remote-first team. We are currently unable to provide visa sponsorship.
About the company
We make Octopus Deploy
, software that enables teams to deliver working software to production. We've become the "best in class" tool in our category by focusing on doing one thing and doing it very well. Founded in 2012, we have helped 25,000 companies to automate complex deployments, and we employ 120+ wonderful people.
We're a growing, profitable business. Our goal is to build a company that will last forever, while enjoying the journey and doing work that we're proud of. Our business model is all around understanding our customers, building great software, backing it up with great support and customer service, and making it incredibly easy to discover, learn and use. After bootstrapping for a decade, we quietly raised Australia's second-largest ever venture capital raise
, accepting a USD $172M minority investment from Insight Partners.
Most of our team is based in Brisbane, Australia, where the company started, though we've spread to other parts of Australia, the US, and UK. Because our team is distributed, everyone works from home, so we've built a remote-first culture.
We've made our company handbook
public, and it's a great guide to how we think about just about everything - including career progression and compensation, our vision and what we care about, how our company is structured, feedback loops, training, remote work and more. Please take a read of our handbook, and reach out if you think there is a good fit.