At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
About the Role
•Working within our Ruby on Rails codebase for serving recommendations to the web and mobile applications. This includes aggregating recommendations from multiple sources and then filtering/ranking them based on contextual data.
•Implementing projects considering quality, maintainability, performance, scale, and observability throughout the development process and in production.
•Writing clear technical documentation based on the project proposals.
•Using our NWay testing framework for product development, especially in collaboration with our product and front-end teams.
•Bachelor's or higher in mathematics, computer science, physics, or equivalent experience
•2+ years experience in software engineering
•Strong comprehension of data structures and algorithms with a focus on applied problem solving
•Experience with a web application framework (Ruby on Rails, Spring, Django, Flask, or a comparable framework)
•Experience shipping production-level, clean, maintainable code
•Experience working with scalable, reliable and high availability services
•Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with the team and stakeholders
•Ability to work collaboratively on cross functional teams with product, data science and other engineering teams
•Recommendations experience is a plus
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.