See all jobs
Jun 21st, 2021
Senior Ruby on Rails Engineer
At Scribd (pronounced “scribbed”), we believe reading is more important than ever. Join our cast of characters as we build the world’s largest and most fascinating digital library: giving subscribers access to a growing collection of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, documents, Scribd Originals and more. In addition to works from major publishers and top authors, our community includes over 1.4M subscribers in nearly every country worldwide.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you've probably seen quite a bit in your career, and we want to leverage all of it. Full-cycle software development will be your primary function, but we'll expect you to contribute in a number of ways, including advising on others' technical design, reviewing code, participating in interviews, and mentoring less experienced engineers. When you are doing software development, you'll be doing more than just coding a ticket handed to you. You'll own the code strategy and architecture, implementation, delivery, and operation of systems, end-to-end. You'll consider testability, upgradeability, scalability, and observability throughout the development process.
Our online applications use React, Redux and server side rendering using Hypernova on the frontend and a Ruby on Rails Monolith, backed by MySQL & Redis which we're working to split into a small set of services in 2021/2022. We use Sidekiq to run background jobs and Databricks environment for offline data processing. We're evolving our codebases to incorporate modern languages such as Go, Typescript & Rust as we migrate from a monolith into a small number of services.
• You’re a strong engineer who enjoys working with different teams.
• You care about code review as both a chance to present your work and to learn from others.
• You focus on well-written, elegant solutions, not just the quick fix, and you never skimp on testing.
• You are always learning and always working to improve your craft.
• 5+ years experience as a full stack developer utilizing Ruby on Rails.
• Experience shipping large features with a focus on full stack or backend web development experience (building back end services, building api’s, building front end flows).
• Curious and confident, able to dig into legacy and any services our products may span to understand how things work.
• You love to make a difference for users. You are curious and have a strong desire to learn and grow.
• You welcome challenges with open hands and gain a sense of ownership of your work while striving for the best coding practices.
Nice to have/Learn on the job:
• Experience with Redux, CSS Modules is a plus.
• Knowledge of npm, yarn, babel and webpack
• Passionate about testing. Previous experience writing unit and integration tests with frameworks like Jest, Rspec, Enzyme, Cypress, Selenium, WebdriverIO etc.
• Experience working with data pipelines, both real-time and batch offline.
• Experience de-bugging issues in a complex modern web architecture which includes: distributed systems, CDN, image servers, databases, asynchronous web services, CSRF, cross site scripting, etc.
Benefits, Perks and Wellbeing at Scribd
• Healthcare Benefits: Scribd pays 100% of employee’s Medical, Vision, and Dental premiums and 70% of dependents
• Leaves: Paid parental leave, 100% company paid short-term/long-term disability plans, and milestone Sabbaticals
• 401k plan through Fidelity, plus company matching with no vesting period
• Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion hiring best practices
• Stock Options - every employee is an owner in Scribd!
• Generous Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Flexible Sick Time, Volunteer Day + office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
• Referral bonuses
• Professional development: generous annual budget for our employees to attend conferences, classes, and other events
• Company-wide Diversity, Equity & Inclusion training
• Learning & Development and Coaching programs
• Monthly Wellness, Connectivity & Comfort Benefit
• Concern mental health digital platform
• Work-life balance flexibility
• Employee Resource Groups that build community and support among employees
• Company events + Scribdchats
• Free subscription to Scribd + gift memberships for friends & family
• Monthly inclusive multi-cultural celebrations & learning opportunities
Want to learn more? Check out our office and meet some of the team at www.linkedin.com/company/scribd/life
Scribd is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.