See all jobs
Aug 19th, 2021
Senior Software Engineer, Core Media
Loom is on a mission to empower everyone at work to communicate more effectively, wherever they are. We are already trusted by over 12M users across 200k+ companies. Our customers are global and use Loom at work at world-class companies including Netflix, HubSpot, Atlassian, Juniper Networks, and Twitter.
Founded in 2015, Loom has raised over $200 million from top-tier investors including Sequoia Capital, Kleiner Perkins, Coatue, and Andreessen Horowitz.
Loom is seeking passionate media software engineers to join our Core Media team to build efficient, reliable, and capable media infrastructures to unlock the power of Loom. As a team member, you will create and optimize cross-platform technologies that power our product experience of Loom creation, editing, and viewing. Our small-and-mighty Core Media team builds the technology directly responsible for the magical experience that Loom is known for. As a member of this team, you will strongly influence the roadmap charting the future of Loom innovations.
- Architect and build the server-side and client-side infrastructure that enables engineering teams to build world-class video messaging products.
- Design and implement innovative media features that delight our users and differentiate Loom’s products and services from our competitors.
- Identify opportunities and drive critical initiatives to improve our media infrastructure to drive down operation and engineering costs.
- Uphold a high standard of engineering excellence because the performance and reliability of media infrastructure directly impact our product experience, hence the perception of Loom’s overall brand.
- Diagnose and improve the quality of the end-to-end video experience. Optimize our media pipelines to be performant across all the platforms that Loom is offering (iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Chrome Extension)
- Display strong ownership and influence over the team's roadmap and, therefore, significantly impact the company's strategy.
What We're Looking For
- Passion for opening black boxes to solve new and existing problems
- Experience and passion for working across multiple platforms, operating systems, and programming languages.
- Experience with software development processes, including source control, bug tracking, and design documentation.
- Experience with collaborating cross-functionally between groups with different technologies and pipelines
- Experience with concurrency, multithreading, and real-time systems.
- Experience with languages that require memory and resource management.
- Experience with profiling and optimizing resource-intensive applications.
Optional but Preferred
- Experience with developing cloud service and streaming technologies.
- Experience building FFmpeg filters or have worked with FFmpeg APIs and tools.
- Experience with at least one mainstream media codecs and container format (VP8/x264/AAC/HLS etc.).
- Experience with video/audio distribution or streaming technologies.
- Experience in WebRTC or other Web media APIs
How We Work
Freedom and Flexibility: At Loom, we believe work is an act, not a place. When we disengage work from a location, we can accommodate a broad range of life choices. You can choose to work from home or while you travel. If you are in the Bay Area, you can drop by our San Francisco office on 2nd and Market St. when reopens in Fall 2021. We are able to hire across the United States and Canada* and are continuing to expand our international presence. And you are free to move within a country without any adjustment to compensation.
Engaging Workday: The key to an engaging workday is finding the right balance between different ways to work sync, async, text and video. Loom makes it easier for us to say what we mean without having to schedule a zoom meeting or struggle to find the right words. And using async communication allows us to free up time for deep work every day. We believe there's a place for sync time - often a conversation on Zoom is exactly what is needed. For team meetings, this ‘sync time’ is typically between 9AM-Noon PT given where the overlap of timezones where Loommates are located.
Work-Rest Balance: The way we balance the fast-paced demands of a high-growth startup and sustainability is making rest a priority. We offer a flexible PTO policy so you're able to take time off when you need it. We also go fully offline once a year between Christmas and New Year (and twice during the Pandemic). Rest is also part of the workday, not just during PTO. Taking a break for personal commitments, whether it's watching the kids or getting some exercise is natural part of the workday.
Social Connection: Relationships and connectedness matter. We are intentional about building trust and relationships through unique, shared experiences. Our virtual workspace keeps us connected day-to-day whether it's through Looms celebrating wins or our buzzing Slack communities. Post-COVID, we want Loommates to meet in person at least twice a year purely for fun. We're also experimenting in local offices as social spaces, starting with San Francisco in Fall 2021.
Perks at Loom
Competitive compensation and equity package
99% company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
Life, AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
401(k) with 4% company matching
Professional development reimbursement
Mental health and wellness reimbursement
Paid parental leave
Remote work opportunities
Home office & technology reimbursement
Loom = Equal Opportunity Employer
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because teams are stronger with different perspectives and experiences.
We value a diverse workplace and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employees and contractors of Loom are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.