See all jobs
Aug 27th, 2021
Engineering Manager - Banking Products
Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of cryptocurrency so that you and the rest of the world can achieve financial freedom and inclusion. In our first decade, Kraken has risen to become one of the largest, most successful and respected crypto exchanges on the planet.
We are changing the way the world thinks about finance and our range of successful products are playing a critical role in the mainstream adoption of crypto assets. We continue to trail-blaze into new territory with the introduction of Kraken Bank, providing a more seamless integration between crypto and the traditional financial system. This makes us the first crypto company (ever) to be awarded a U.S. state banking charter.
Our diverse group of 2,000+ Krakenites are distributed all over the world as part of our 'remote first' culture, united by a shared passion for delighting customers, upholding crypto values and achieving our meaningful mission. We attract people who push themselves to improve, are radically transparent and think differently in order to unlock their potential.
Crypto is a rapidly evolving industry and we’re just getting started. We’re growing fast and you're invited to join the revolution!
About the role
Kraken is looking for an experienced engineering manager to build and lead various banking working groups. This is an opportunity to grow a team of world class engineers who are deeply passionate about cryptocurrency, security, and amazing user experiences. We’re a diverse group of engineers that are dedicated to making cryptocurrency available and accessible to the world and enabling people from all walks of life to invest in their independence. The Kraken experience needs to be ambitious, simple, and user-centered; come and help us make that happen!
To be successful in this role, you need to be a strong people manager; great at giving and receiving feedback, fostering new ideas, and empowering others in a remote environment. You also need a strong software engineering background, to have a thorough understanding of technical architecture, system design, and problem solving intuition on sophisticated technical challenges. You’re able to quickly ship new products and features by giving your teams the freedom and flexibility to develop the best possible solutions.
- You have a strong servant-leadership management style geared towards supporting, mentoring and growing engineers on the team. You care deeply about people, and their success.
- You’re not afraid of hard conversations and are gifted at coaching your colleagues through difficult situations.
- You are strategic and think at a high level, but are also hands-on, execution-oriented, and capable of getting things done quickly.
- You have experience in banking, payments, crypto, trading, or other financial industries, and can talk about the risks and how they impact projects and decision making.
- You have a mastery of core computer science fundamentals and a proven track record of shipping high quality software. This allows you to make great high-level technical decisions, help your team through difficult design decisions, and coach your team to grow their careers.
- You have experience leading teams of engineers across all levels of skill and experience with a track record of managing, recruiting, and retaining strong engineering leadership and engineering talent and growing effective teams.
- You have an ability to translate a long-term vision into a near-term, executable plan.
- You have experience working in different development methodologies, understand the trade-offs, and can iterate to a process that supports you, the team, and the business.
- 10+ years of software development experience, primarily focused on backend development
- Experience with software architecture, designing APIs and event-driven systems
- 5+ years leading engineering teams
- 2+ years of experience managing remote teams
- You are interested in cryptocurrency and actively involved in the space
- You are passionate about software engineering, improving processes, and driving change
- You keep a close watch on modern technologies and can program in Rust
- You have experience developing large applications in a microservice architecture, or leading teams developing applications as microservices.
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique backgrounds and experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives.
Check out all our open roles at https://www.kraken.com/careers. We’re excited to see what you’re made of.
Learn more about us