See all jobs
Oct 5th, 2021
Senior Platform Engineer
Quartzy is seeking a Senior Platform Engineer to join our 100% remote growing Engineering team! Our mission at Quartzy is to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery and our Engineering and Product Teams, along with the rest of the Quartzy organization, work closely together towards this mission creating innovative SaaS platform software solutions helping to advance the future of the connected lab. The Senior Platform Engineer will have a unique opportunity to help drive and build our Platform and Engineering technology in the hyper-scale cloud for our customers!
Quartzy’s Platform Team designs, builds, and operates our dynamic infrastructure platform providing the foundation that bridges our hardware and software boundary. In this Lead role you’ll provide technical engineering leadership to all of Engineering and engage cross-functionally with our agile delivery teams building and operating our core services running on the hyper-scale cloud, stand up automated coding and data delivery pipelines supporting frequent software releases, create intelligent monitoring and alerting automation workflows, and design and build infrastructure-as-code environments that scale.
The ideal person for this role will have prior experience in a SaaS company on a Platform or similar Cloud Engineering team as a Senior Site Reliability Engineer, SeniorCloud Engineer, or other hybrid roles bridging software and operations functions. Our engineers are highly supportive of both each other and our stakeholders, you’ll work very closely with our Lead Cloud Engineerand at times be expected to work self-directed. You are also comfortable bringing fresh insights and taking the initiative with team members in shared cross-functional problem-solving. Additionally, you’re motivated by our mission to accelerate the Life Sciences industry by building and operatinghigh quality technology to accelerate research & development.
Quartzy is the world’s #1 lab management platform. Every day, hundreds of thousands of scientists from all over the world improve the efficiency of their research by using Quartzy. Our software combines lab resource management and eCommerce, producing unique value in this large market, returning time to researchers who can focus on their next discoveries. Our customers range from wine makers, to food/ag companies, to companies working on COVID testing and cancer therapeutics. We are humbled every day to serve them.
What You'll Do
- Initiate and support our expanding modern and scalable infrastructure-as-codebased AWS platform and tools providing dev, qa, and production environment automation.
- Support infrastructure refactoring initiatives and seek to automate manually performed tasks, drive infrastructure monitoring and cloud based delivery tooling towards meeting Engineering SLAs and key operating metrics.
- Help establish best practices and standards including work breakdown, estimating and assisting with developing delivery schedules.
- Perform root-cause analysis for service interruptions and establish preventive measures
- Support development of policies and procedures for standard operating procedures around change management, access provisioning, and structured incident handling in support of achieving company level security and compliance programs and frameworks.
- Participate in the on-call support rotation
- Participate in knowledge sharing opportunities and contribute to the overall growth and collective knowledge of the team
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or related industry experience
- 5+ years of experience working on a Platform or Cloud Engineering team in a hands-on role operating a 24x7 AWS based workload, infrastructure, database, and networking
- Experience with TCP/IP VPN and networking concepts, SSH, DNS, SSO and authentication standards, system performance-monitoring tools, load balancing firewalls and HTTP traffic, email routing, Redis, ElasticSearch, queuing technologies, and interacting with REST APIs for application integration and automation.
- Experience managing cloud-based codified solutions using TerraForm, Ansible, and AWS,
- Experience deploying containers and workload orchestration tools such as Docker, Nomad, Kubernetes, ECS, EKS, or OpenShift, in a multi-cluster multi-environment setup
- Experience working with Git, or other version control systems, and automating code delivery pipelines and infrastructure as code supporting frequent production deployments
- Experience managing and SQL performance tuning databases on RDS, MySQL, Postgres or other production scale database platforms
- Experience working with or under one of more security and compliance certification frameworks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical team members, a self-starter with a bias towards action and taking initiative on your own to advance project work with other team members
What We Offer
- Great Insurance - we cover 100% of employee premium cost and 50% for partner/family
- Great Culture - participate in our fun events like ActiviTuesday, Wellness Wednesdays, happy hours & speaker series
- Remote Team - we’re 100% distributed so you can live anywhere in the US!
- Transparency - Weekly all company stand ups, monthly town halls, quarterly state of the start ups and anytime access to co-founders
- Generous Time Off - take the time you need, when you need it
- Great Gear - We’ll set you up for success with the latest tech and help you outfit your home office. And, a free Spotify premium account!
Want to learn more take a look at what people are saying about us on Glassdoor!
If that sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you!