See all jobs
Nov 9th, 2021
Senior Data Engineer
Quartzy is seeking an Sr. Data Engineer to join our Data Operations team developing on and expanding our cloud based Business Intelligence and Analytics stack for our internal team members to consume. This is an exciting new role in a rapidly growing company where you will contribute towards the success of all departments through enabling data driven decisions and strategies.
The ideal person for this role will have a strong background in data management and analytics tools including building data warehouses and data flows, modeling and building transformations, creating documentation for user consumption, and experience with a variety of data visualization tools. You’re also a self-starter with a bias for action and can take projects and tasks from start to finish. You like to work with a small, tightly-knit team that moves quickly and pushes changes to production daily, and you’re motivated by our mission to accelerate the Life Science industry by the building tools to accelerate research & development.
You are experienced with cloud based data warehouses, pipelines, and analytics tools, and are passionate about data, data quality, and creating accurate and performant data solutions that are easy to consume for our citizen data scientists. You excel at collaborating with end users to deeply understand questions they’re trying to answer and coming up with brilliant data models that are consistent and well documented and that users trust. You have a solid grasp on current capabilities of cloud based data analytics tooling and enjoy teaching others how to use and leverage data solutions you build, and you stay current in the rapidly evolving interweb ecosystem of data capabilities.
Quartzy is the world’s #1 lab management platform. Every day, hundreds of thousands of scientists from all over the world improve the efficiency of their research by using Quartzy. Our software combines lab resource management and eCommerce, producing unique value in this large market, returning time to researchers who can focus on their next discoveries. Our customers range from wine makers, to food/ag companies, to companies working on COVID testing and cancer therapeutics. We are humbled every day to serve them.
What You'll Do
- Transform raw or near-raw data and reference information from a wide variety of data sources into comprehensive analytics models and reporting-ready data sources for internal consumption by leveraging modern cloud based data analytics tools such as Segment, Fivetran, dbt, Snowflake, Looker
- Working with the organization’s technology teams to intake, build, and curate complex database, data sources, and build high quality data models for consumption by business users
- Document current and newly built data models and train members of the organization(analysts, key stakeholders, citizen data scientists) empowering them leverage our data assets
- Ensure established standards are followed for application architecture, development, documentation, and deployment in order to maintain high levels of consistency and quality
- Collaborate with a wide variety of organizational stakeholders to plan, design, and integrate new data sources, reporting, or products or enhance existing data assets
- Analyze query performance and perform query tuning to assist development engineers in designing and optimizing queries.
- Troubleshoot and resolve production support issues related to our data ecosystem
- Within the data modeling space, lead code reviews and drive improved coding and documentation practices to ensure code quality, mentorship, and shared knowledge.
- Participate in knowledge sharing opportunities and contribute to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the team
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required, assigned, or requested.
What We're Looking For
- 4-6 years experience working in a data analytics role performing design, development, implementation, management, and support of data structures, data pipelines, and data warehouses(including data maintenance and data governance considerations)
- 3+ years experience using dbt, or similar tooling integrated source code version control, and a continuous integration processes
- Advanced SQL authoring skills and experience with multiple RDMS such as MySQL, MariaDB, AWS Aurora, PostgreSQL, …
- Experience deploying and using cloud based data analytics visualization tools such as Looker
- Experience with tooling for documenting data models and training business users on using data models
- Understanding of quality assurance and data quality principles as applied to ETL
- Ability to communicate technical and data concepts to non-technical audiences, and business concepts to technical audiences
- Ability to function within a multi-disciplinary remote-first team environment, which includes collaborating daily with team members and other colleagues in a thoughtful and respectful manner
- History of staying current on best practices in technology
- Ability to speak English as a second language is required
What We Offer
- Great Insurance - we cover 100% of employee premium cost and 50% for partner/family
- Great Culture - participate in our fun events like ActiviTuesday, Wellness Wednesdays, happy hours & speaker series
- Remote Team - we’re 100% distributed so you can live anywhere in the US!
- Transparency - Weekly all company stand ups, monthly town halls, quarterly state of the start ups and anytime access to co-founders
- Generous Time Off - take the time you need, when you need it
- Great Gear - We’ll set you up for success with the latest tech and help you outfit your home office. And, a free Spotify premium account!
Want to learn more take a look at what people are saying about us on Glassdoor!
If that sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you!