See all jobs
Jan 14th, 2022
Lead Full Stack Engineer
Quartzy is seeking a Lead Full Stack Engineer to lead our Technology Operations team operating and maintaining our clean, modern application stack. Our platform, used by users both internally and externally, consists of two primary products including a SaaS based inventory management platform and an e-commerce shop for inventory ordering.
The ideal person will have experience leading other engineers and have a background working in a support role with B2B SaaS platforms or mission-critical systems having e-commerce. You’re a self-starter with a bias for action and can take projects and tasks from start to finish. You like to work with a small, tightly-knit team that moves quickly and pushes code changes to production daily. Occasionally, you end the day with more lines of code removed than added; and that feels great. You’re motivated by our mission to accelerate the Life Science industry by the building tools to accelerate research & development.
You are a forward thinker who will help motivate the team and enable them to produce their best work while working together through daily support issues, operational improvements to the platform, and leading team members working through projects. You appreciate and respect the context switching required to work on a more operational team using lightweight agile processes, you are a collaborative thinker that can articulate complex issues in terms that make sense to our internal platform users, and you are able to reprioritize work regularly with the changing needs of our internal and external customers. You’re also passionate about understanding the root problems of issues before entertaining solutions while balancing having a strong empathy for the customer experience and driving with urgency resolving their issue. Most of all, you are a builder and a problem solver at heart, and you seek to develop thoughtful solutions that will delight our customers.
Quartzy is the world’s #1 lab management platform. Every day, hundreds of thousands of scientists from all over the world improve the efficiency of their research by using Quartzy. Our software combines lab resource management and eCommerce, producing unique value in this large market, returning time to researchers who can focus on their next discoveries. Our customers range from wine makers, to food/ag companies, to companies working on COVID testing and cancer therapeutics. We are humbled every day to serve them.
What You'll Do
- Operate in a Lead Software Engineering role on our Technology Operations team to triage and fix customer reported issues, and operations of the day to day technology systems for our platform.
- Take technical ownership of prioritizing support issues, and provide technical work direction to other Software Engineers.
- Consult with all other software teams on root cause and designs for issue resolution that the Operations team will implement.
- Operate, automate, and create projects to implement improvements for all manually performed processes for maintaining integrations and other aspects of our platform
- Participate and help drive agile processes used by the team, communication of team status and obstacles, and lead technical aspects of planning and estimating.
- Collaborate closely with our Foundation team during incidents and site outages
- Lead code reviews and drive improved coding and documentation practices to ensure code quality, mentorship, and shared knowledge.
- Write well-tested code that is resilient to heavy iteration.
- Participate in knowledge sharing opportunities and contribute to the overall growth of the collective knowledge of the team
What We're Looking For
- 7+ years experience developing software in a production environment at scale
- Experience in a lead role leading other Engineers in a team based environment
- Experience leading software projects using agile or scrum practices
- Demonstrable experience writing clean, thoughtfully crafted PHP that scales
- Experience with parts of our technology stack including: MySQL, React, Laravel, Elasticsearch, Redis, Beanstalkd, RabbitMQ, nginx, Git
- Familiarity with troubleshooting asynchronous worker queues
- Experience writing automated unit tests and working in a CI/CD environment
- Start Up experience is helpful
- A strong communicator. You write well and can easily explain complex technical concepts to non-technical people.
- History of staying current on best practices in technology
What We Offer
- Great Insurance - we cover 100% of employee premium cost and 50% for partner/family
- Great Culture - participate in our fun events like ActiviTuesday, Wellness Wednesdays, happy hours & speaker series
- Remote Team - we’re 100% distributed so you can live anywhere in the US!
- Transparency - Weekly all company stand ups, monthly town halls, quarterly state of the start ups and anytime access to co-founders
- Generous Time Off - take the time you need, when you need it
- Great Gear - We’ll set you up for success with the latest tech and help you outfit your home office. And, a free Spotify premium account!
Want to learn more take a look at what people are saying about us on Glassdoor!
If that sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you!