See all jobs
Jan 21st, 2022
Product Security Engineer - Applications
We believe the way people interact with their finances will drastically improve in the next few years. We’re dedicated to empowering this transformation by building the tools and infrastructure developers need to create their own products. Plaid powers the tools millions of people rely on to live a healthier financial life. We work with thousands of companies like Venmo and SoFi, several of the Fortune 500, and many of the largest banks to make it easy for people to connect their financial accounts to the apps and services they want to use. Plaid’s network covers 11,000 financial institutions across the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Salt Lake City, Washington D.C., London and Amsterdam.
The mission of Plaid's Product Security Team is “Improve our customer’s trust by assuring secure development and delivery of products and services, minimizing risk to the ecosystem, and preventing security incidents.” We achieve this by ensuring security measures are available by default to developers, implementing security controls in the CI/CD pipeline, measuring effectiveness of these controls and adjusting them accordingly. We heavily focus on security reviews, threat modeling, building secure architecture, runtime application protection, and reducing risk to the platform.
As a Security Engineer on the Product Security team, you will work with the Engineering team to build secure products, ensuring security controls are available by default and educating stakeholders on best practices and standards. You will build and implement runtime protection on Plaid’s live products by implementing a WAF, automated security scanners, and runtime application protections. You will also participate in security reviews, threat modeling and building secure architecture standards for AWS. You will detect vulnerabilities and triage them with appropriate owners, use vulnerability remediation tools and practices, and follow compliance standards and frameworks.
Major projects may include: building/installing application security testing tools, refining a vulnerability management program, deploying and testing interceptors/wrappers for runtime protection, and coordinating with other security and engineering teams to standardize security policies and standards.
What excites you
- Secure architecture and coding practices, that may include design reviews, threat modeling, code auditing, and security assessments on products/applications developed in-house or externally.
- Build automation to detect and respond to security vulnerabilities identified in the CI/CD pipeline.
- Threat hunting and identifying security vulnerabilities through code review, log analysis, systems monitoring, data flow patterns, etc.
- Deploying and securing cloud services (preferably in an AWS environment).
- Conducting application penetration testing using tools such as: Metasploit, Kali Linux, Burp Suite, etc.
- Deploy and use AST (including IAST & RASP) tools to identify security vulnerabilities.
- Communication in a friendly, supportive manner with software engineers or other stakeholders, helping to not only identify security issues, but also mentor and advocate on novel solutions.
What excites us
- Background working in a product or application security team, protecting scalable enterprise/cloud applications.
- Familiarity with working on security incidents/events to investigate, remediate, and respond to potential threats.
- Experience working with WAF and API security tools.
- Experience with containers (Docker) and Container Orchestration Systems (Kubernetes/ECS), specifically in a security context.
- Experience running PoCs and writing automation scripts to improve the security posture of applications.
- Excellent understanding of OWASP risks, vulnerabilities and mitigation mechanisms.
- Experience with creation and implementation of custom alerting dashboards in SIEM for investigations.
- Experience working on crypto primitives, authentication protocols, and authorization standards (Eg: SSL/TLS, SAML, OAuth, JWT tokens), and implementations within a major cloud provider, preferably AWS.
Plaid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion or religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, military or veteran status, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Plaid is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance with your application or interviews due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.