See all jobs
Feb 21st, 2022
Manager - Data Science
Confluent is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure focused on data in motion. Have you ever found a new favorite series on Netflix, picked up groceries curbside at Walmart, or paid for something using Square? That’s the power of data in motion in action—giving organizations instant access to the massive amounts of data that is constantly flowing throughout their business. At Confluent, we’re building the foundational platform for this new paradigm of data infrastructure. Our cloud-native offering is designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can create a central nervous system to innovate and win in a digital-first world.
We’re looking for self-motivated team members who crave a challenge and feel energized to roll up their sleeves and help realize Confluent’s enormous potential. Chart your own path and take healthy risks as we solve big problems together. We value having diverse teams and want you to grow as we grow—whether you’re just starting out in your career or managing a large team, you’ll be amazed at the magnitude of your impact.
The mission of the Data Science team at Confluent is to serve as the central nervous system of all things data for the company: we build analytics infrastructures, metrics, insights, and models, to empower data-driven thinking, and optimize every part of the business. There are limitless opportunities for an ambitious data scientist to make an immediate and meaningful impact within a hyper-growth company.
About the Role: As a member of the Growth and Marketing Data team, the Growth and Marketing Data Science Manager is responsible for building and managing a team of talented data scientists and B/I developers in India. With your team, you will work across the Marketing organization to build data products and provide insights to inform marketing strategy. This role requires strong technical skills, business acumen, excellent communication skills, and leadership to succeed.
What You Will Do:
- Hire, manage and grow a team of 3-5 highly skilled data scientists and B/I developers
- Manage employee career development by providing coaching and mentoring to team members and guiding them to increase their potential. Provide continuous performance feedback, collaborate with employees on their objectives, and provide a clear path for progression through personal development plans.
- Collaborate with Marketing partners and data science leads to drive the roadmap, prioritize, and manage staffing against key initiatives.
- Serve as a liaison between the Data Science leads for each area and the team in India to ensure the business context, priorities, and strategic focus are well communicated, understood, and reflected in the projects
- Be hands-on to develop data-driven business insights and work with the team and cross-functional partners to identify opportunities, drive Marketing strategy, planning, and execution.
- Define how our teams measure success, by developing Key Performance Indicators and other users/business metrics, in close partnership with Marketing partners and Data Science leads
- Provide rigorous technical mentorship to the team and institute development best practices to ensure the team produces high-quality deliverables.
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor or advanced degree in a quantitative discipline: statistics, operations research, computer science, informatics, engineering, applied mathematics, economics, etc.
- +7 years of experience in data science and analytics
- +1 years of experience managing a team of data engineers, data scientists, and/or machine learning engineers.
- Strong proficiency in SQL and Python (or R) (+7 years of experience)
- Proficiency in data visualization (eg. Tableau, R-shiny, Python, Metabase, Looker, Matlab, etc.)
- Strong knowledge and experience in quantitative modeling, statistical analysis, experimental design, and applied statistics (i.e. A/B testing) in an industry setting
- Project management skills - Ability to drive projects end-to-end
- Clear verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated evidence of building lasting relationships with the team and business stakeholders.
- The ability to communicate cross-functionally, derive requirements, and deliver insightful analysis and/or models; ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different types of audiences, including executives
What Give You An Edge:
- +10 years of experience in data science and analytics in a fast-paced environment
- +3 years of experience in managing a team of data science professionals
- Experience working with Go-to-Market or Marketing domain: web analytics, attribution, Marketing funnel, channel optimization, LTV modeling, etc.
Come As You Are
At Confluent, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. The more diverse we are, the richer our community and the broader our impact. Employment decisions are made on the basis of job-related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Confluent requires all employees (in office and remote) in the U.S. to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Confluent will consider requests for reasonable accommodation based on medical conditions/contraindications or sincerely-held religious beliefs where it is able to do so without undue hardship to the company.
Click here to review our California Candidate Privacy Notice, which describes how and when Confluent, Inc., and its group companies, collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of California job applicants and prospective employees.