See all jobs
Feb 24th, 2022
Data Engineering Manager
As one of the largest and most trusted digital asset platforms globally, we are empowering people to experience the life-changing potential of crypto. Trusted by over 8 million consumer and pro traders, institutions, and authorities worldwide - our unique combination of products, services, and global expertise is helping tip the scales towards mass crypto adoption. But we’re only just getting started. We want to be pioneers in crypto and add value to the everyday lives of billions. Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines. Join us to bring crypto to the world.
The data engineering team is responsible for designing and implementing scalable solutions that allow Kraken to make data-driven decisions fast and accurately, while dealing with high volumes of data. The team maintains the company’s data warehouse and data-lake, replicating data among different platforms, and answering the critical business needs that help Kraken scale and succeed. The data engineering teams deal with different both batch and streamed data, and split into different responsibilities and focus areas depending on Kraken’s objectives.
- Manage a team of highly qualified and experienced data engineers
- Lead the building of scalable and reliable data pipelines that collect, transforms, loads and curates data from internal systems
- Drive data systems to be as accurate and performant as possible while advocating the engineers in the team.
- Support design and deployment of the distributed data store that act as a central source of truth across the organization (EMs may remain partially hands-on)
- Help scaling the team, hiring, interviewing, and assist in planning the right healthy growth and career progression
- Communicate with different business owners and stakeholders, set OKRs aligned with Kraken’s vision, then lead initiatives and people to achieve these goals
- Maintain a high security attitude from both technical and cultural perspectives
- 9+ years of work experience in relevant fields around data engineering, data-warehousing, distributed-systems and software development
- 8+ years of work experience in a major programming language (e.g. Scala, Python, Golang,..)
- 5+ years of experience leading teams, preferably engineering and/or data teams
- 3+ years of experience managing remote teams
- You have a strong servant-leadership management style geared towards supporting, mentoring and growing engineers on the team
- You are strategic and think at a high level, but are also hands-on, execution-oriented, and capable of getting things done quickly
- You have a strong experience in data engineering, data-lakes, data warehousing, and building robust scalable organization-wide data solutions
- You have experience leading teams of engineers across all levels of skill and experience with a track record of managing, recruiting, and retaining strong engineering leadership and engineering talent
- You have an ability to translate a long-term vision into a near-term, executable plan
- You have experience working in different development methodologies, understand the trade-offs, and can iterate to a process that supports you, the team, and the business
- You are interested in cryptocurrency and actively involved in the space
- You care deeply about people and their success
- You’re not afraid of hard conversations and are gifted at coaching your colleagues through difficult situations
Location Tagging: #EU #LI-Remote #LI-DD2
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique and diverse experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives, regardless of their background.
As an equal opportunity employer we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.
Stay in the know