See all jobs
Mar 17th, 2022
Email Deliverability Engineer
Email sits at the heart of our product, powering conversations for 12,000+ customers. As a Help Scout Email Deliverability Engineer, you will be partnering with our CTO and other senior engineers to build and optimize our email and data deliverability solutions.
Tools and Technologies we work with
- PHP, PowerMTA, DMARC/DKIM/SPF, Exim, rspamd, eHawk, Aurora MySQL, RabbitMQ
About the role
- As part of our Communications team, you will join our email deliverability work to help prevent and resolve abuse, compliance, and blocklist challenges.
- You will partner with our customer team, ops engineers, ISPs and our anti-spam vendors to help investigate, diagnose and fix customers deliverability issues that arise.
- You will facilitate and support the education and socialization of email deliverability knowledge across our engineering and customer teams so we can serve our customers more effectively.
- You will build and expand upon our current code PHP base that run our event processing and email services.
- Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. For this role, our bands are between $156,000 to 183,000 USD. Read more about how we approach compensation here!
- This isn’t your first rodeo and you have some years under your belt working in an email deliverability role for an organization with medium to large scale email operations.
- You know DNS, TLS, FBLs, DMARC, DKIM, and SPF backwards and forwards.
- You have significant exposure to the communications industry organizations, data collection and handling requirements from a legislative (GDPR, HIPAA etc.) and ISP (Gmail, Microsoft, etc) perspective.
- You have experience with high volume email processing and successful reputation management strategies.
- You are experienced with modern PHP development practices and open source frameworks. This is a plus, and not a requirement.
- You are a skilled, passionate, and humble engineer who is friendly, collaborative, and supportive.
- You value personal growth and constructive feedback. Believing that“a rising tide lifts all ships,” you make everyone around you better sharing what you have learned and looking for ways to improve both yourself and the team.
- You demonstrate an empathetic, organized and collaborative communication style with fellow engineers and non-engineering stakeholders. Clear communication is super important in a remote culture like ours.
- Your code is a pleasure for your teammates to read and easily understood. When working in the codebase, you leave things better than you found them.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work style to be remote-friendly.
- You’re located between Pacific (UTC-8) and Central European (UTC+1) time zones. We ask that you have at least 3 hours of overlap with Eastern (UTC-5).
Competitive salary - Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn't divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance - we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation - Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical - After you've been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption - 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match- via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend - Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Bonuses - everyone is eligible to receive a quarterly bonus up to 8% based on shared company revenue goals.
Set you up for success — we’ll get every new teammate a Mac laptop or equivalent of their choice, and provide a $1500 stipend so you can feel ready to work from home. We also cover up to $350 USD per month if you'd like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency - Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.
Help Scout is made by roughly 120 people in 80+ cities around the world, all with a passion for helping others. We come from diverse backgrounds and are united by an enthusiasm for great products and delightful customer experiences. Help Scout launched in 2011 and today we have more than 12,000 paying customers in 140+ countries.
Why Help Scout?
We're remote. It doesn’t matter if you’ve worked remotely before — we’ve been doing it for nearly a decade and are helping to write the playbook — we’re happy to show you the ropes. Most folks that get a taste of working in a "remote first" company have a hard time going back to the old way of doing things.
We’re passionate about diversity and inclusion. The data is abundantly clear about diverse teams being more successful, and we're dedicated to setting the team up for success. Today our leadership team is 62% women, and that's just the start. Here's our DEI Dashboard where you can see all of our team demographic data and read about our commitment to this work.
We're committed to SMBs for the long term. Help Scout is focused entirely on serving small and midsize businesses, typically up to 500 employees, because those companies view customer service differently. It's not a cost to be optimized, it's their most effective marketing tool and a key differentiator from the competition. We built Help Scout for companies that truly value being customer-centric (like us) and want a product that shares their values.
We're leaving the world better than we found it. Did you know Help Scout is a certified B Corporation, with a mission to give away at least 1% of our product through Help Scout for Good? Our company exists not just to help ourselves, but to invest in our team, our customers, our community, and our environment.
Our commitment to you
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We have read the studies and understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company’s financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment for all employees, but the bottom line is that it's the right thing to do.