See all jobs
Mar 28th, 2022
Director of Infrastructure
Spreedly is the world’s first, and leading, Payments Orchestration solution. Our vision is that the world is better with a diversified, inclusive payment ecosystem. Our mission is to accelerate commerce with an open, secure, and flexible payment platform that welcomes all payment participants. Backed by Spectrum Equity, with a $75M investment, Spreedly is experiencing rapid growth.
Connecting to multiple payment services, known as payment orchestration, is the new standard. With Spreedly’s PCI-compliant cloud solution, merchants can connect to multiple payment services simultaneously, optimize their payment stack, control card data, and accept alternative payment types.
Our employees help us execute against our vision through building a culture focused on autonomy, transparency, and collaboration in a dynamic, high-growth organization.
In 2019, Spreedly migrated its infrastructure from a single rack of hardware in a datacenter to AWS’ cloud. We haven’t looked back since. Infrastructure supports both the developer experience (think: github actions, automated push-button deploys, open access to observability tooling) and the customer transaction operating environment, for which transaction volume continues to more than double yearly. Configured using Infrastructure as Code, our servers have a strict “no pets” policy.
Infrastructure at Spreedly has the goal to be an impressive competitive differentiator for the business, a driver propelling our flywheel. We’re looking for our next director of infrastructure to lead the team of fellow Spreedlings (both onshore and nearshore) in advancing this effort among the pillars (and responsibilities) of scalability, reliability, delivery, and security operations. All while maintaining our existing PCI compliant cardholder data environment (CDE).
An ideal candidate will understand and have experience working with and advancing a strong DevOps culture. They will thrive putting those experiences to work, leading a team with an excellent attitude to some exciting future accomplishments, including: operating multiple active/active region capabilities globally, providing a developer self-service dev/test & staging experience, continued improvements in observability and capacity planning, and of course – the great ideas and initiatives that you’ll offer along with your team to truly become cloud native.
- Reporting to the CTO, ensure the Infrastructure & Services are designed and implemented to support business strategies, priorities and technology initiatives.
- Execute and improve upon the mission for cloud infrastructure, the CI/CD pipeline, and the developer experience.
- Leading a talented group of engineers to execute the cloud infrastructure strategy, including:
- develop and operate software and automation infrastructure for a payments orchestration system with zero downtime requirements
- Design, Provision, and Administer cloud-native solutions according to best practices of well-architected environments
- exercise observability capabilities to proactively address the operational issues for all customer facing infrastructure assets
- Ensure all technical procedures (Installation, Configuration, Run books) are documented and updated and are contributing to the maintenance of operational standards.
- Participate in capacity planning, incident response, tuning systems resiliency, provisioning and scaling of the application infrastructure.
- Lead and deliver operational excellence with focus on the service management and DevOps approach to achieve agility, speed, scale, security, resiliency, and efficiency.
- Partner with Engineering teams and rest of operations teams to architect and design the infrastructure for products and services as well for the R&D environments.
- Understand the market and our end customers.
- Promote & evangelize DevOps culture
- Take part in the recruitment process, including interviewing, assessing, hiring, and onboarding new team members.
- 7+ years people management experience
- 10+ years of experience managing engineering infrastructure and 5+ years of building and managing cloud infrastructure (AWS strongly preferred), working with high demand engineering and product teams
- 15+ years of overall Infrastructure (among architecture, engineering, site reliability) in defining and developing highly secure, scalable, and available solutions
- Demonstrable ability to drive consensus and influence others
- A natural curiosity for how things work and a work ethic to satiate that curiosity
- A history of being a creative problem solver and acting as a positive disruptive force driving good, impactful improvements in systems and teams
- Self-motivated, proactive, and able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Experience and ability to work and manage a fully remote team, with quarterly in-person all-hands meetings
- Preferred: experience working with, and an awareness of the capabilities/limitations of: hashicorp tooling, github actions, content delivery network / web application firewalls, sumologic, datadog, AWS (ec2, redis, s3), ansible, kafka
- Ability to travel ~10 % of the time for:
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
- 1-2 senior leadership strategy summits or employee gatherings
- As chosen by your own professional development goals
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples, structured interviews, and diversity awareness training.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does- handling payment data- candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later- we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.
Spreedly has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all in office and in-person company meetings, including mandatory quarterly all hands event.
Some of our positions are open to remote applicants. If this is the case it will be sited in the job posting just below the position name. Unless otherwise stated, remote positions are open to candidates in the contiguous US only. We are not set up to support remote employees from CA, NY, or outside the contiguous US. All applicants must have a US work visa.
We appreciate your interest in our company. Because of the high volume of resume flow, we may only respond to those candidates that we think will be a potential fit.