The Sr. VM/Container Convergence Software Engineer will work upstream in Open Source communities and within the Core Labs organization and Virtualization Team to develop and support the convergence technologies between Virtual Machines and Containers. They will also collaborate closely with the teams working on the SUSE kubernetes distribution.
They will support the SUSE Linux Enterprise products in the domains of KVM virtualization, Linux Containers, Kubernetes; they will collaborate and shape upstream efforts, validate new research ideas, and will participate and provide novel contributions to the relevant industry conferences.
More specifically, they will:
Within the team:
- Develop and maintain container convergence components in the KVM stack, including product updates and releases, initially including kubevirt.
- Collaborate with the rest of the package maintainers in the team in making sure the stack is well integrated with libvirt, QEMU, KVM
- Plan high level goals and activities with the Engineering Manager.
Within Open Source
- Pursue responsible participation and leadership in Open Source, in particular for convergence projects.
- Work collaboratively within the upstream communities to develop the next generation of virtualization technologies.
- Publish results, discuss and incorporate new ideas in the major conferences and events.
Within the Labs Department
- Evangelize containers in the department, share knowledge and experience about containers best practices.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to ensure the high quality and consistency of the technologies at the core of SUSE Linux Enterprise products, participate and contribute to SUSE Labs Conference.
- Contribute in creating a friendly and cooperative work environment in the entire department.
Within the Engineering & Innovation Business Unit
- Collaborate with product teams, addressing the product requirements for convergence, promote technology and knowledge exchange between teams.
- Contribute in building our next generation platform
- Work together with QA teams, acting on issues and performance regressions.
- Maintain the highest possible standards for innovative products/solutions and professional relationships
- Must have substantial experience in Containers
- Must have Linux virtualization experience in the area of QEMU/KVM
- Must be familiar with and able to work upstream, fully embedded in Open Source
- Proficiency with Linux, C, git are required at a high professional level.
- Basic proficiency in the Go language is also required.
- Must have strong general Software Engineering background
- Any additional programming language constitutes a plus, in particular Rust.
- Any experience with improving complex build systems constitutes a plus.
- Must be able to pursue high level goals with autonomy, being responsible, dependable, adaptable and flexible.