We didn’t create Bold Penguin because commercial insurance is broken. It isn’t. But as the world has gotten more connected and digitized, commercial insurance lags behind - creating a fragmented landscape where businesses, agents, and insurance companies struggle to interact in a smooth and easy way. That’s why we’ve built a highly efficient exchange that cuts the friction out of commercial insurance by connecting everyone to the right quote in record time.
Powering the world of insurance is no small feat, so we’ve brought on a team that's not only incredibly talented but also passionate about our potential to upgrade the entire industry. As more and more companies big and small depend on our technology to operate in the commercial insurance space, we’ll need the best talent all around to support our growth. That’s why we’re looking at you (yes, you!) to make a bold move and join our adventure.
Staff Engineer Scope & Qualifications:
- In your role as a staff engineer, you will be tasked with solving our hardest problems by leading and architecting complex, highly scalable solutions.
- You are expected to perform as a strong individual contributor to the team.
- At this point in your career, you will have had a broad range of technical acumen as well as a depth of experience in more than one area.
- You will have a significant impact on the engineering organization itself by helping advance Bold Penguin’s software engineering discipline.
- Engage across product teams to plan, coordinate, architect, and deliver high-complexity features
- Ensure that solutions are built with security, performance, and fault-tolerance in mind
- Be an expert in modern cloud architecture and concepts in software engineering such as continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevOps and site-reliability engineering
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, site-reliability engineers, and customers to build powerful, impactful products
- Participate in the full lifecycle of the software development life cycle from ideation to delivery
- Mentor more junior engineers in areas such as unit testing, continuous integration, DRY/SOLID principles, SDLC, etc. to facilitate career growth on the team
- 10+ years of professional engineering experience (with at least 8 years of it being Ruby on Rails)
- Experience building highly resilient, cloud-native applications
- We have daily standups starting around 910 AM EST (Monday - Friday) along with company-wide meetings on Monday and on Thursday at 830 AM EST.
- 3-5 years + of working remote, full time, and/or with full time co-located teams across different time zones.
- Full-stack expertise in multiple tiers of modern web applications (e.g. front end, back end, infrastructure, etc.)
- Open-source contributions and/or speaking experience.
- Previous work experience in insurance and/or experience with policy rating very desirable.
- You love Penguins! ;P
TRAVEL TO THE "GLACIER" (please read)
- We are firm proponents of "seeing eye to eye by meeting face to face". As such, our remote team travels in once a quarter for a full day of collaboration, goal setting, team building, etc. Are you able to make this work? In addition to this we also ask that, if hired, you are able to make the first week onsite for onboarding/training.
- For a healthy colony.
- Our plan covers 50% of your Medical Premiums – Health - HRA, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, as well as Short & Long Term Disability - Beginning Day 1! (Trust us, the benefits are great!)
- Penguins plan for the future.
- 401k Match program, up to 4%!
- Parental Leave
- 16 weeks of parental leave (your kids need you there!)
- Need a vacation?
- Unlimited PTO - Please take a vacation - In fact we require you to take 10 days off as you need it and we applaud it!
- Hungry? Thirsty?
- We offer free snacks and drinks, as well as catered lunch every Monday (even to our remote employees...nomb nomb nomb)
- Penguins need to learn!
- We support your professional growth. Certifications, training, memberships, and conferences are actively encouraged—and covered.
- Penguins are social creatures and love to play!
- We have frequent happy hours, company events, and outings. What kind of company would we be if we didn't have some fun!?!?
- Penguins give back.
- We offer volunteer opportunities every month! There is no better feeling than giving back =)
- Don’t want to move to Columbus?
- We offer up to 100% remote engineers!
- You must be OK visiting the office for a day or two every quarter - we are all about that camaraderie!